Life during coronavirus

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The legislature overrode the governor in Pennsylvania yesterday. Demonstrations in Ohio and Michigan. You can't treat small towns and rural areas like the big cities. Time to open up with some common sense before the economy collapses. You can't hide in your prairie dog hole forever.

Last edited:

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
So here we are in NY in week 5 of lockdown for COVID -19 Virus. We were notified yesterday by our Governor that this will continue until May 15 and then we will see what then. Schools and non essentials are still closed . Stores that are open still have their tight rules applied. As of today it is now mandatory when outside you must wear some sort of face covering for nose and mouth. Wondering if a lot of these closed stores will make it back from this. We first responders and Dr.'s and nurses are still getting the shit kicked out of us. As of yesterday NYS has a total of 222,284 confirmed cases reported cases.( 160,000 the week before) NYS now has a Total of 14,776 deaths from Corona ( 7067 the week before) New York City has 11,477 deaths ( 5300 the week before) Where i live in Nassau County 1109 deaths( 633 the week before) Our neighbor Suffolk County has 693 deaths( 362 the week before ) They say its starting to level off. There was avg of 700 deaths a day but now its down in the 600's. in NYS. Hoping this social distancing puts the numbers down even lower. We have lost a couple of more friends from this. You cant even have proper funerals at this time because of the restrictions. The Obituaries page in our local paper Newsday is usually one page, lately its 4 to 5 pages long. Still have some family members sick from it. And on a good note my niece has recovered and is cleared and back to work( NYPD) but right back in the middle of it. Saying prayers for all my family and friends and for all those suffering from this COVID-19 Virus. Hoping and praying that things start to get better and that we can start over with the new normal.

Last edited:

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My company (me) has not worked in a month. With the Operating Rooms shut down for elective cases, I do not work. The PPP is out of money but my bank says they will resubmit if it is funded again. My wife is manning the machine that takes over for the lungs by draining the blood from the patient, pumping it thru an oxygenator and returning it to the patient. The procedure is called ECMO (Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation). This is an extreme effort to aid in clearing the lungs (if they are capable) to a "normal" function. My wife has provided this support, along with other perfusionists, for what is now 8 patients on ECMO. Karin has put in 48 hours this week on Covid patients. She shares in this care with a host of other medical professionals that make their own sacrifices to care for these people.

I'm not sure if this is the venue for this, but one of the RN's my wife works with wrote this poem below. This little gal is 3 years out of Nursing School and to be married this summer if she can still have a formal wedding ceremony. While a lot of us are fighting to stay afloat, we still should be thankful for all that we DO have. This lockdown sucks and in my mind is an exercise in control by our local government and health officials, that I'm really pissed about. But that's another story. If the moderators feel that this post is inappropriate, please take it down. I get it.

Here's the poem written after a night shift:

You Don’t Even Know
By Jessica Cicerchia
RN, BSN Yale New Haven Hospital
CTICU/COVID ICU
I cannot sleep because I am afraid
Knowing that it’s up to me to bring them aid.
I push away the nightmares that plague my mind,
keeping them locked away and buried inside.
Stepping through the doors to see the list
of the growing covid patients, I reminisce
of months ago when I didn’t think
that our lovely unit would ever sink.
I get my assignment, oh what a shock
I’m in an ECMO/Covid room till seven oclock.
Now I begin by doning my gear
Hoping to prevent “it” from coming near.
Gown, booties, and gloves to start
I pause as I feel my heart
racing inside because I know
I will reuse my N95 for the second day in a row.
You Don’t Even Know
Into the room I begin my day
always making time to pray
for my patients and their families all the same
For I might be the last one who hears their name
Away the night nurse goes
Leaving me, my paper, and who else knows
to fight this invisible fight
with all my strength and all my might.
Scanning the room, in my view
are Nimbex, Versed, and ECMO too.
And there lies before me a very young man
Paralyzed, sedated, he knows not the plan.
He relies on me to assess.
From head to toe, I must address
all problems I see, great and small
because there is no one else at all.
You Don’t Even Know
Alarms begin to ring and I look at the screen.
Low Flow alarms appear on my machine.
Yet there I stand in the loud room,
praying for someone to come to my rescue.
His heart rate starts dropping
headed towards stopping.
Thankful to see my perfusionist’s face
peeking his head in the window, with such grace.
Giving his advice we talk through the door
All the time wishing I could have more.
So scared by myself, but this I know
he will come to my rescue if we lose flow.
Standing in a room all alone
They look through the window, but you’re on your own.
With a work phone in hand and my stand of drips
Tears fall from my eyes and prayers from my lips.
You Don’t Even Know
Later in the day when things get bad,
I rely on my nurses when I am sad.
Holding this man's life in my hand
How could anyone really understand?
My charge nurse comes to my rescue,
but she's had herself a day too.
Being pushed and pulled in a million ways
I’m thankful for her on these tough days.
Seven o’clock comes and I scatter to get
the room together and I realize the sweat
Down my forehead and down my back.
I have yet to leave my room for even a snack.
I realized I only left the room at half past two
for a thirty minute break, boy was I overdue.
There I sat and ate my lunch
Who knew this covid would pack such a punch
You Don’t Even Know
Realizing I only peed once this shift
Who knew the bathroom was such a gift.
Yet through it all, my faith stands true
To a God who loves me and will get us through.
His promises are firm and his faithfulness is tested
Just look at my life and prayers requested.
While we don’t know how long this will last
My God is the same God of today and the past.
Leaving work, I drive home in shock
and facetime my fiance at nine oclock.
I miss him as we’ve been apart for weeks
But we know this is smart and is one of our techniques.
Now the day is finally done
and this may have just begun.
But we will make it, this I know
for the Bible tells me so!
And Yet You Still Don’t Even Know

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have always told the doctors and nurses where I work that I am here to support them anyway I can. It's a hospital where, for the most part people come to get better. That is our primary objective. Everything thing else is a support role. And years ago when I worked for Pacific Gas and Electric, I told people we sell Gas and Electricity, everything else is a support role :D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks, I been very fortunate that my direct exposure to covid patients has been limited. However that has been by luck only. Still on the floors and in the areas, and I will have to engage directly sooner or later, there is no way around it. Follow the protocols, and double clean, should be safe we hope.:good