Lifting the motor a bit for clearance....

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Has anyone used an under motor mount plate to raise the 409 for clearance for 2" headers? The a-arm bolts are real close and was looking 1/4 to 3/8 plate would solve the issue. Of course you can't go to much as things will get tweaked out of alignment. If the racing guys/gals have done this let me know what size you used with results.....thanks....

Ps: My last tube goes up and over the frame both sides...4-speed car.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The chevy 4x4 trucks had a bracket that went between the mount and block with a tab for the transmission support rods.
You may try them then you won't have to fab something up.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I’ve shimmed the block up by adding spacers between the frame and mtr mtg bracket and block and mtr mtg.
You can also shim the body up for other clearances, if you do this be sure to loosen all the body mount bolts and begin shimming from the front to the rear, not much needed.

Also watch and not pull the steering shaft coupling apart :).
You can put in solid motor mounts and a bracket to keep the engine from torquing, that will create vibrations in the car.
Watch brake lines, not a big issue here, but worth watching.
Hope this helps.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I think I will fab some 1/4" shims from flat steel, that should give enough room, but not effect fan shroud and linkage problems. I may even slot them (back bolts) to slide them out if so I do not have dismantle mounts to go back stock. Thanks for all the ideas....fun reading what everyone comes up with....

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not a big fan of running just solid motor mounts but that is what Ronnie sent me when putting Pack Wrat together. I made a couple of aluminum plates that served as engine limiters or might say partial motor plate that bolted to the front of the heads and bolted to a tab down to the frame. That seemed to work ok.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
No solid mounts for me, just the shim under the frame mount. The stock motor mounts have some movement in the frame to motor mount holes (main long bolts) but not much. I will take measurements between the frame mounts with shims out and with them in.....don't want to over engineer this, perfer the KISS method.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I'm not a big fan of running just solid motor mounts but that is what Ronnie sent me when putting Pack Wrat together. I made a couple of aluminum plates that served as engine limiters or might say partial motor plate that bolted to the front of the heads and bolted to a tab down to the frame. That seemed to work ok.
I used the "OLD SKOOL " Chain and bolts to the head and frame to hold "Joint Venture ;s engine in place.07-16-2010 03_11_31pm_00.jpg
Worked great at the time:D:think
:crazy:cheers.

Last edited:

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Guys/gals I found these on eflay. They are 3/16 in. thick and clear the raised bump in the motor mount (Anchor mounts) , fit perfect. I don't know how many are out there, but if you are looking these may do it for you.

Spacers Engine Motor Mount Clam Shells 73-87 Chevy GMC Truck car V8 350 400 305
Spacers 3_16 inch.jpg