Location of Build Sheet in 1963 Impala

SS63NJ

I have a 1963 Chev SS Conv that was assembled in St. Louis in October of 1962. It still has the original interior, but the carpet has been replaced. I'm trying to find the original build sheet. Can anyone out there sugguest where I might try looking for it. I've already looked until the back seat.
Thanks for your help, Ron

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not sure if they used build sheets in '63. Many GM cars didn't get that until later 60's. But I don't know for sure on that year.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ron, I have heard they can be almost anywhere. If not under the back seat, sometimes in the rear side panels. I wish you luck, I have never found one. I have a friend who is pulling h is hair out trying to find one in a 62 that is a correct car.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My memory could be off but I think the "build sheet" process may not have started until around 1965/66 or maybe even later.

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My 63 SS had the broad cast copy in the rear seat between the springs and the padding

bobs409

Administrator
This is from our misc. photo page. http://www.348-409.com/misc.html The first was sent to me by someone that found it in his 63.

misc86.jpg

Here is one that was from a '64:

misc136.jpg

And yet another from a 64:

misc137.jpg

I've always heard that there was no rule to put a build sheet in a car. These were merely used by the workers building the car. Sometimes a car will have one, sometimes not. I found 3 in a Chevelle in a junkyard once! (wish I could find some in my own cars) :( Baltimore built cars are known to have them in the seat springs (front or rear) I found a partial of one in my 72 Chevelle.

Some other places to look: above gas tank, in headliner, inside upholstery, behind an interior panel, under carpet, under firewall pad.

I wouldn't suggest tearing your car apart looking for one. Your's might not have one.

SS63NJ

Thanks Bob,

I'll take a look under the bucket seat springs tonight and under the carpet next
spring. If its on top of the gas tank, its going to stay there.
I did find the build sheet for my 72 442 under the front carpet, so I was just hoping for two out of two.
Everything on the cowl tag on the Impala checks out, 845-1, Aqua bucket seats with white convertible top, Paint-918--Azure Aqua, A01-All windows tinted glass,
C60-Factory 4 Season A/C, Padded dash etc so I guess I should be happy with that documentation.
By the way, when I clicked on the link at the bottom of your e-mail a notice came
saying This Store is Closed.
Best,
Ron

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting on the '63. Ever hear of any earlier cars with one? 1963 is the earliest I have heard of (just now) The late sixties/early 70's will almost always have one, very common. Just not so common in the older Chevys.