Looking for Ford truck hood scoop for NS/S

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
When I started my car the intention was to go with the 3 speed OD but we wet with the 4 speed T-10 instead. It is a 390-401 engine. The T-10 was made available over the counter before Pikes Peak and Indy in 1961. There were cars with 4 speeds at Indy in 1961. Hot Rod did a big article on the Ford four speeds in 1961 showing Curtis Turners Pikes Peak car in the article. They became readily available in 1962. There is talk of a few production line cars being built with a 4 speed in 1961 but I have my doubts. The red car is my father and is an original 390-401 3 speed OD car.

What Jody said about the 4 speed. I have a copy of the Hot Rod magazine featuring the article about the Curtis Turner 4 speed car in 61.

Don said........"Likely the same 401/390,4 speed combo that Tommy Nolan has for sale", My Starliner or anything I have can still be bought but it ain't for sale any more. The Ford guys made such a fuss about my price that I just said the hell with it, it aint eat'n or drink'n so I'll just keep it. It had been in the Muscle Car Museum for a couple of years so this past weekend we were in Gatlinburg so I picked the car up and brought it home. I think I will go over the car and show it some more. It has always been one of my favorite cars.

As for the Ford hood scoop, that has been a fascinating thing for me since 1963. I bought a new 63 Impala SS 400 horse car, went straight to the local Ford dealer and ordered one of those scoops with a chrome grill. I believe at the time both pieces cost about 26 dollars. We have all heard the story that Pontiac purchased some of the scoops from Ford and issued them a GM part number for use on the 63 SD cars. After 20 years of research i have reached the conclusion that this is just an old wives tale. A lot of the 63 SD cars have these scoops but if this story was true someone should be able to produce the Pontiac part number and so far no one has. I found the Ford part number but not the Pontiac number. I have searched thru all the Pontiac SD special parts info and no where is there any mention of a scoop. At Great Bend I talked to Hayden about them, he worked with Mickey Thompson but he said he didn't remember any Ford hood scoops. This summer I talked to Arnie Beswick and he swears the story is true but still can't provide the part number. I need the part number on GM letterhead, that would be proof they did this and then I could show my 63 Pontiac in AACA with the scoop