Looking For Info On Z-11 That Was In The Family

Big Red Ram

Hello, I'm trying to find some pics or any other info on a certain '63 Z-11 that my Mom used to race. She and her hubby at that time, Lloyd Porter, raced one sponsered by Lloyd's Dad, Ernie Porter, he had a Chevy dealer in Pasadena called Ernie Porter Chevrolet. I only have 1 pic that was found on the 'net. Can anyone else help? Here's the pic I have
Z-11ErniePorter.jpg

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob You have the coolest Mom.I think there's a guy named Bob Porter some where near here in Indiana that has(?) 2 z-11's. I don't remember where they came from but he's had them foe about 20 years, If he hasn'r sold them. Guys that track them down have located most of them. I'm still looking in barns. I found 1 in the late 70's in a for sale ad in the National 409 Club news letter. $12,000 might have been the price. Missed that one. That might have been the one Rusty Symmes had. Bob

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the chrome reverse rims look terrific.:beerbang Keep checking back, sooner or later someone who remembers the car might see the post.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dang. I just checked some notes that were given to me by a Z-11 researcher and it looks as though that car has been junked. I'm not sure when, where or by whom. Not the info you were hoping for I'm sure, but hopefully some of the parts live on in other cars. But again a Z-11 from Ill, thought to be destroyed, turned up in Tucson a few years ago and was reunited with all its original Z-11 stuff. It had been living as a small block/ steel-nose car for decades.
Ross

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
just looking

If you are looking at the engine it has an aluminum water pump, and 2 pc intake. Valley pan and runner bolt on seperate. Square corner valve covers. Inside there are lots of differences.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Z-11 used the same block as the 09. Stamp on pad would be QM, I think. Bore was the same, stroke.150 longer. The Intake ports look a lot like Pontiac ports. Rods are like an 09 but .125 longer. Intake ports are also higher up and machined on a differant plane than the valley cover. Under the valve covers there is a one piece plate that is the pushrod guide plate. Studs are scew in. I've been told the fuel pump pushrod was titanium. sSaw one at a swap meet once. Bob

models916 said:
If you are looking at the engine it has an aluminum water pump, and 2 pc intake. Valley pan and runner bolt on seperate. Square corner valve covers. Inside there are lots of differences.
Any pics I may have parts that my pop left.

M

MK IISS

Z11 info.

http://www.348-409.com/z11.html

There may be some errors in the article. I belive 50 is now the accepted number of '63 Z11s built...not 57.

The '62s with alum. front clips that have been reported to be "factory built" had standard 409/409 engines. The '62 "Z11" style heads and intakes were an over the counter separate deal.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was an article about Bob Porter that was mentioned here ,in a magazine some years back. Can't recall the mag though. Reason it caught my attention was he looked like the Bob Porter I worked for in Indiana back about 1974. He was an Navajo indian if I remember correctly.

Yeah models, we'll all be sure to send them Z-11 parts along to you. By the way hows them Sandersons look?? Didn't notice any postings here about them.
Ray

Mark I

Hey, that photo was not found on the net, it came from me! Actually it came from Mr. Pioch, then to me.
I have nothing on this car after it left the Porters hands. I've talked to Louise Porters brother, John, and he gave me some great information. Where it went, I still don't know and may never know. It was for sale in Drag News sometime in late 63 or early 64. I don't have anything stating this car was junked, although that could have happened. There were three known Monaco Blue Z-11s sold in California. I have some pretty reliable information on what happened to two of them, and this car isn't one of them.
I'm still working on this project, but it's been in sort of an "ebb tide" the past 3-4 months. As Bob explained, trying to figure out where all the cars went and to whom, when sometimes they changed hands several times in a few months, can be a real challenge.

Hello to Mr. Walker, Mr. Martin and Ross on this thread, all folks who I know and who have helped! Thanks also to all others who have taken the time to help with this.

Mark

Fordtransman

Ernie Porter was my Grandfather

I am Ernie Porter's Grandson by his 2nd marriage.... (I guess this means I found a cousin??? ) I was told the Z11 Car was junked. My dad is really into some of the more exclusive facts from the Ernie Porter racing days. We still have quite a few photos of Ernie Porter and Lloyd Porter and some of the cars raced, including a 58 chevy race prepped corvette. I am going to forward this thread to my Dad's email and see what he can chime in on this issue

oil4kids

Well Known Member
While were looking for Z11s a fellow named Marv is looking for His original Black 1962 SS 409 Impala with gold buckets

probably one of the first Z11 cars, was raced under the name Black thunder- purchased out of Jim Rathman Chev- any info let me know