Looking for pictures of 63 ProStreet builds

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Looking for pictures of some 63 Impala Pro Street builds for ideas. Particularly if I can get pictures of the frame modifications as right now it looks like I will be replacing about 2/3 of the existing frame, basically from just behind the front body mounts to the rear. The other thing I am looking for pictures if and how people stretched rear wheel opening for the larger tires. Right now it looks like it would end up cutting into the rear of the rocker panels and that worries me a little, but I guess the body will no longer really be much of the support structure as the new frame and roll cage will tie everything together and keep the body from twisting.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Looking for pictures of some 63 Impala Pro Street builds for ideas. Particularly if I can get pictures of the frame modifications as right now it looks like I will be replacing about 2/3 of the existing frame, basically from just behind the front body mounts to the rear. The other thing I am looking for pictures if and how people stretched rear wheel opening for the larger tires. Right now it looks like it would end up cutting into the rear of the rocker panels and that worries me a little, but I guess the body will no longer really be much of the support structure as the new frame and roll cage will tie everything together and keep the body from twisting.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/58-build.29269/page-8#post-342606

Deadwolf

Well Known Member

Lots of good info there, but he didn't go as radical as I am planning. When I'm done the car chassis will be legal to run 8 seconds with roll cage at the track. We are going to try and keep as much stock interior as possible, but right now it looks like the dash, headliner trim, door panels, and window trim is all I will be able to keep. Tubs will eliminate my rear seat, unless I have it customized. Quarter window function also looks like it could be impacted and if heavily impacted I might just put lexan in it, the front window and rear. Keep glass in the doors so I can still roll them up and down, as well as vent windows. Chassis will probably be a 2/3 rds replacement with the replacement starting around the toe board area and being more of a ladder bar chassis with the roll cage used as third plane stiffening. Probably going with a 17-18" rear tire side wall to side wall for the street tire which will drop me down to about a 15" slick when racing.

Initial engine will be a SBC probably only putting down 600 HP to let me test out and feel out how the car launches and then as time goes on keep building for more HP. If I get to a point that I'm happy I might start looking into building a W motor that puts out around that same horse power. SBC's are cheaper to play with while finding a power level I will be happy with, once the W motor is built I don't want to tear it down every winter and keep trying to search for more power.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
That is definitely a piece. I would love to have that rear end. If only you were closer to Michigan.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
This one from the axle flange to the outside of the rear quarter measures 16 inches. I'm thinking a 12 inch tire should all I need, but for class racing I may only be aloud 10.5

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Am just saying if your frame was good you do not need to back half an X-frame and it can be certified to 8.50 with out going over board
on all the supports and still meet all the safety requirements. my 61 is all stock front to back with a 9" and cert to 8.50 and runs straight as arrow at high 8'S @152 MPH with a stick shift on 10.5 slicks and no tubbing

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Am just saying if your frame was good you do not need to back half an X-frame and it can be certified to 8.50 with out going over board
on all the supports and still meet all the safety requirements. my 61 is all stock front to back with a 9" and cert to 8.50 and runs straight as arrow at high 8'S @152 MPH with a stick shift on 10.5 slicks and no tubbing

I'm going to Pro Street the car more for looks than speed. Don't get me wrong I want it to have respectable speed, but if I really wanted to just go fast a shoe box would have been a better platform to build on. My big thing is if I'm going to go through all the work, I want to make sure it is all done right. Would hate to decide to later get the speed bug bad and stick some monster of an engine in it and have the car fold up on me. Right now the idea is the big tires with a roots style blower sticking through the hood. Floor pans replaced with aluminum. I'll probably build the seats so when I'm on the street I can use more of a stock style seat and swap it out in an hour or so with a racing bucket. Dash is to remain all original with some small additions like a tack with shift light and some extra gauges. I want to retain my giant steering wheel. Then probably bolt on fiberglass trunk lid. Still deciding on a bolt on fiberglass hood or a full lift off front clip. Only reason I'm not jumping to the lift off clip is I tend to work on my cars by myself a lot.