Looking to build a 348 4” stroker........

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Nope, I didn't know enough when I put it together so I went with a forged crank thinking I needed it. My engine builder told me afterwards that its built proof but wasn't necessary for my 500hp goals. For my application I should have used a cast crank but when I bought the 1970 454 crank it was $70 so after having it machined it was way cheaper than buying one done.

Was always told that by the time you cut back the counterweights knife edge them turn the crank to 409 Main size radius the journals and finish that the machining would cost more than a new offshore made crankshaft

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SuperStocker I take it you used a cast crank in your build,thats what I'm using in the stroker for my truck.It will have the unported 333's and a hydraulic cam so no high rpms for this one.The stroker that I'll build to use the ported big valve heads will use a forged crank.
Just wondering if you are going to run over 6000rpm on your stroker motor? Ask your local motor shop and see what they recommend, they build motors every day. Mine told me that I went over kill on my bottom end (all forged) and could have produced the same hp numbers safely with a cast crank. I don't plan on spinning over 6000 with my stroker motor.
I guess I could put nitrous or turbos on it now that its beefed up but why. 500hp is still streetable and yet fun enough to bring a smile at the track.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Was always told that by the time you cut back the counterweights knife edge them turn the crank to 409 Main size radius the journals and finish that the machining would cost more than a new offshore made crankshaft
Would anyone want to knife edge a street crank? As far as I understand that kind of work is racing prep for high rpms.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think you said it correctly. My machine shop said that at 500hp and less than 6000rpm, then a fancy windage tray and knife edge crank aren't needed unless the engine was spending all of this time at high rpm then that would be different. My mains were cut down to fit in the 348 properly but not knife edged.

427John

Well Known Member
If contouring was absolutely necessary it would have been done from the factory,which it wasn't except on their highest rpm race motors.Its about oil and air control in the crankcase and is worth power at high rpm's but at normal engine speeds it shouldn't be necessary.As far as machining an oem 454 crank the cost is dependent on the shop you use,cutting counterweights down, machining down the snout,and grinding the mains are fairly straightforward operations,recutting the keyway is probably the trickiest part.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I understand what you’re saying, talking about with the level of build......My only point was ......I was told that the cost of setting up a 454 crankshaft would be equal to or greater than the amount to buy an aftermarket stroker crank

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If I recall correctly when I had one done about 12 years ago it was about $500 to have the crank work done.
I'm in Iowa and mine was way cheaper 2 years ago. $350-$375 if I remember it was below $400. I dropped off a 348 crank and a 454 crank and said make this look like that. Done 2 days later.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the prices to have the work done will very a lot depending on the shop. I too dropped off a 454 crank that was done but had a cracked journal and then another forged 454 crank that cost me 150 and told him to copy the bad one and reuse the Malory metal if possible. The shop I used was a little more spendy than some of the others around me but the work done was always spot on and that was worth it in my mind.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Looks like Showcars still does it for $400, but shipping adds to that. They do an excellent job, BTW.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My new guy estimated my 427 crank cut to 409 specs at $800.:dunno That is why he will try to save mine first.:pray It will be lucky to be 550 HP.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Going on a vague memory but I remember hearing that cutting cast crank to 409 specs would often result in the front snout breaking during usage. I could be wrong

427John

Well Known Member
You would think that if that were the case then there would be a slew of cast 400 sbc cranks missing there front snout,maybe the instances you heard about were external balance engines that they forgot to use a 400 balancer on?