Looking to build a 348 4” stroker........

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
On JE piston site they use 3.5-4% HP increase per increase in 1 compression ratio(one I've read before). So a 400 HP motor you would get a 16 HP bump. Worth it to take a chance on 16 hp?

alexm900

Well Known Member
....348 block, eagle 4” crank, forged rods and pistons...
I would be wary of the Eagle crank as it needs a lot of machine work out of the box to make it right. Like many here, I have used that exact same one about 5 years ago, hopefully quality may have changed since. In retrospect, and at the time, a Scat or an oem 454 crank would have come better and cheaper (including machine work).

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Turned my '61 348 into a 434 stroker motor. Bored .030 over. Bought a 454 crank and 396 BB rods that the machine shop already had. Pistons were expensive. $100.00 each. Edelbrock heads, intake and carb. Isky hydraulic cam. Better then stock but nothing too radical. CR is about 9:1. Gobs of power and torque. I'm thinking about $6000.00 total investment. Runs well, Carmine.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My 4" Eagle crank had so much journal taper even my cheap Chinese mikes could see I had to turn it 0.010 . Ialso had to get a ATI balancer snout that was a hone ot fit because it was too loose I think-been a few years.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There was an issue,especially with Eagle cranks a few years back that I think has been fixed since then.Moral:Always check,,,,,,,,,,,,EVERYTHING!!!! I know that it's a pain to spend all that money on a new part then have to spend even more just to get things right but it's still cheaper than engine failure because you didn't.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
But I’ve also seen where they say a cast crank shaft for a 454 is good for between 500 to 700 hp.......

Afterthought ........I don’t know if that still holds true after turning the mains down to 409 size......With most likely a heavier piston

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn't mind a cast crank at 500 hp,6,000 rpm,but over that it'd be steel only.The only caviot is that the 454 crank is externally balanced and the cost of having Mallory metal added to bring it back to neutral balance usually makes it cheaper to just use an aftermarket crank made for the W engine in the first place.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cast cranks just fatigue much quicker then a forged unit. The little extra up front is cheap insurance down the road. Same for forged vs cast pistons.
Cast cranks are good due to lighter weight, they're strong until many heavy cycles and then they will fatigue break

427John

Well Known Member
I wouldn't mind a cast crank at 500 hp,6,000 rpm,but over that it'd be steel only.The only caviot is that the 454 crank is externally balanced and the cost of having Mallory metal added to bring it back to neutral balance usually makes it cheaper to just use an aftermarket crank made for the W engine in the first place.
Don, I've asked questions about this in the past and the answers I was getting was that you would still have to mallory the aftermarket cranks to balance them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,but I've heard that it's a very small amount and that stuff is sold by the weight required isn't it?

427John

Well Known Member
Yes its sold by the ounce if that gives you any indication but I guess summit sells a kit that has chunks of differing diameters that is pretty reasonable.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just made the point before that 500hp 6000rpm is cast cranks all day. Forged should be used on race cars 600hp and 6500rpm plus. Anyone who builds a motor knows whether it will be going in auto or stick car so balancing externally is always handled accordingly. For the person looking to save money on a build, cast is the only way to go. ICON pistols and big block rods . Good times.

427John

Well Known Member
SuperStocker I take it you used a cast crank in your build,thats what I'm using in the stroker for my truck.It will have the unported 333's and a hydraulic cam so no high rpms for this one.The stroker that I'll build to use the ported big valve heads will use a forged crank.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cast crank vs. steel crank. When I was putting together a 406 sbc engine with a 671 BDS blower for my '57 Belair, I did much reading on a blower motor. Additionally, I spoke with several people who already had a blown engine. I was self taught with much of this, but I did learn that a cast crank, double keyed, would be fine if turning 6000 rpm's or less. I planned on this rpm or less and did use a cast crank. The machine shop took care of the balancing issues. Never had any problems with it. Ran the engine to 5200 rpm's several times. Just passing this along, Carmine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SuperStocker I take it you used a cast crank in your build,thats what I'm using in the stroker for my truck.It will have the unported 333's and a hydraulic cam so no high rpms for this one.The stroker that I'll build to use the ported big valve heads will use a forged crank.
Nope, I didn't know enough when I put it together so I went with a forged crank thinking I needed it. My engine builder told me afterwards that its built proof but wasn't necessary for my 500hp goals. For my application I should have used a cast crank but when I bought the 1970 454 crank it was $70 so after having it machined it was way cheaper than buying one done.