Losing Shade Making Way

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hope the weather holds so we can get started Wednesday. :good
Could be interesting, we have a high pressure gas line running across the front yard, so if we a within 15 feet of it we have to have the Ameren UE guys on site.
This is the look from the street the direction the drive will go.
20200831_152106.jpg

Junky

Well Known Member
My biggest fear is that the hoses would burst on that boom!:eek1

There are safetys built into the hydraulic lines, so even if a hose should burst, there would be very little loss of hydraulic oil.
Mine would be motor failure! Can you imagine climbing down that!?! :eek3
\

They operate with batteries and electric motors, so the possibility of a failure is very small. If the machine goes outside of being level, then it shuts down the hydraulics, so it will only creep down to the ground.

They did grind the stumps in the front where the drive will go. I'll just let mother nature take care of this one. :)

If you are installing a paved driveway, then the stumps should be dug out, or you will be dealing with the driveway sinking for the rest of your time on the property. Stumps that are covered over will rot even faster!
It really looks good with those trees out of the way, and knowing that they will not ever fall on your home, is a good feeling during a huricane.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Going to be a gravel driveway. With berms and some shrubs and rocks bordering it. According to new county rules I have to install a 2 foot by 6 inch thick blacktop or concrete apron at the frontage road the width of the drive.:bat I should just build a bridge. :think So now we have start projected date of the 8th weather permitting. :pray
Junky we don't have hurricanes up here just tornado's. :hide

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That will be on the other side of the house. :brow
View attachment 85743
No sticking way could I ever do that. :scared2
Back when I was working I ran quite a few of those JLG (boom) lifts biggest one was a 120 footer inside a building was a completely different feeling than outside, not sure if I was fearless or just dumb, never had an accident but close a few times, It'll get your heart racing when you hit the wrong control :yikes:yikes:yikes

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Back when I was working I ran quite a few of those JLG (boom) lifts biggest one was a 120 footer inside a building was a completely different feeling than outside, not sure if I was fearless or just dumb, never had an accident but close a few times, It'll get your heart racing when you hit the wrong control :yikes:yikes:yikes

Back in 1966 I worked for a tuckpointing company hanging off the sides of brick buildings on catwalks held up by ropes. Wouldn't want to do that anymore. Grinding out the mortar between the bricks and pointing in new cement mixture.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Back in 1966 I worked for a tuckpointing company hanging off the sides of brick buildings on catwalks held up by ropes. Wouldn't want to do that anymore. Grinding out the mortar between the bricks and pointing in new cement mixture.

Dave
If you ever make it to the East coast I have a brick “carriage house” on a property built in 1904 that needs grout pointing. Do you know anything about small repairs on slate roofs as got a couple of them and my roofer passed away a few years ago and haven’t found a slate repair guy since. Only new installations.
Robert

Junky

Well Known Member
When one of my dogs passed away, I planned on burying him next to the previous dog that passed. I misjudged, and dug up the first dog. I jumped into the hole, and put his remains back where they were supposed to be, and the fellow operating the back hoe moved over a couple feet. That dog had been wrapped in a heavy blanket, so all the bones were contained. Mistakes happen, and you just have to make the best of them. I do have my water and electric lines marked with underground marking tape. It is a requirement here for all buried utilities. Propane is above ground, so leaks will be evident before the explosion happens. The only one that isn't marked, is the line from the septic tank to the leach field, but where the distribution box is located, that is on the map. Hope to never have to dig that one up.