Low mount alternator

63409impala

Well Known Member
Does anyone make a low mount bracket for a 348/ 409 in a 58 to 64 chassis? I bought the one from showcars that alan grove makes for them, only to have it not clear the pittman arm . Showcars said the bracket will work for what im doing. However, just talked to a guy at alan grive and i was told that I was lied to. I really do not want to mount the alternator up on the head. I'd like to keep it down low for a cleaner look. HELP!!! LOL

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Does anyone make a low mount bracket for a 348/ 409 in a 58 to 64 chassis? I bought the one from showcars that alan grove makes for them, only to have it not clear the pittman arm . Showcars said the bracket will work for what im doing. However, just talked to a guy at alan grive and i was told that I was lied to. I really do not want to mount the alternator up on the head. I'd like to keep it down low for a cleaner look. HELP!!! LOL

Are you trying to use a full-size alternator...... I think that’s the hundred dollar question .......I think most the guys that are running the low mount alternator are using a mini......Look it up on the search engine” low mount alternator”

And I’d have to add, good thinking ......that W motors too beautiful to cover up!

63409impala

Well Known Member
W motor with fenderwell headers at that. Lol. And yes I was trying the stock alternator as I still want all the idiot lights inside to work. There is nothing in the instructions that say anything about using a smaller alternator. Just said will only work with manual steering. Which I spent the $$$ to convert everything all over to manual. I'm not giving up. If I have to use a smaller case alternator I will and that's fine. Just wish it was mentioned when I bought the brackets.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok. So the si alternator hit my pitman arm. The smaller cs 121 alternator fixed that. Then the problem was the adjusting bracket either hit or was right on top of the pitman arm. I moved the adjuster to the outside of the mounting bracket so it bolted to the pulley side of the lug on the alternator. I had to put a thick washer between the bracket and the mounting lug on the alternator. I then had to make a different spacer to replace the two different length ones that came with the kit. 5F385396-77FA-4341-831D-2CF1A206A331.jpeg5F385396-77FA-4341-831D-2CF1A206A331.jpeg5F385396-77FA-4341-831D-2CF1A206A331.jpeg313D67C8-4D2E-494A-8C2C-2A3967A17A5A.jpeg5E707B3F-77A1-4191-9CC0-654A87217624.jpeg

409Biscayne

Well Known Member
I used the Alan Grove mounts but had to modify them to fit the alternator as well as fabricate a new spacer. Used an East Coast Auto Electric one wire mini alternator (Summit part number ECA-2003).