Main caps numbered?

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I have a '64 block "X" on it and it has the Armasteel main caps. I found one cap with a faint number (2), but not sure of the others or where to look. Of course the #5 main is not an issue but the 1-4 are in question. Does it matter what order they go on for 1-4 caps?

Thanks...

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Yes. They are a selective fit. Any used block could stand a line hone. Things move around a bit during the operational life of any motor, main saddle alignment being one of them. Take it to a machine shop, get it line honed. That's not that expensive of an operation, and it won't affect the major dimensions of the engine. Line boring is a more drastic operation, that's for when caps have to be replaced. Make sure the machine shop re numbers the caps during this process. You will notice how much easier the crank turns as you assemble your motor.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Eyes are not great, so I will take another look with magnifier. I did mark them on disassembly but got washed off during the cleaning process, so I lined them up in a box the best I could, thinking there has to be a scribe number on them. Thanks for the info.....

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've went from using a loupe to a microscope to see the numbers on fuel rods. Much easier.
I was heading down the same road. First the magnified store glasses, then prescriptions and a loupe. Then the eye doc said I cannot do anything for you. It's time. I had cataracts in both eyes. I got them both done within about 6 weeks or so. What a difference.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had a hard time reading the black board in high school, thought it was normal. In tech school, i borrowed my buddies glasses and couldn't believe that I could read what was on the blackboard. Been wearing glasses since. About ten years ago, started with bi-focals.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had a hard time reading the black board in high school, thought it was normal. In tech school, i borrowed my buddies glasses and couldn't believe that I could read what was on the blackboard. Been wearing glasses since. About ten years ago, started with bi-focals.
I too had a hard time reading the black board in High School. However it had nothing to do with glasses. I just found it hard to read from my buddies houses while partying :D

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Started school with chalkboards and ended with those dry erase boards. Thank god. That screeching from the chalk went right through me! If you drew an obscene object on the dry erase board on Friday, it would stain enough over the weekend so it couldn't be 100% removed on Monday.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Started school with chalkboards and ended with those dry erase boards. Thank god. That screeching from the chalk went right through me! If you drew an obscene object on the dry erase board on Friday, it would stain enough over the weekend so it couldn't be 100% removed on Monday.

:rub:think