Main studs

tubb59

Installing main studs in my 348 I have an issue if anyone has had this before after installing the studs into the block it stops against the shoulder of the stud then putting the main cap on there is still shoulder above the main cap that even after installing the washer and then the nut it never contacts the washer, they are the ARP studs for big block Chevy that everyone says is compatible with 348 409 Motors what am I missing? Any help would be great thanks

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Obviously the wrong studs. I think studs for a 392 hemi are a good fit. I am also guessing since the studs you have do not work, then the block was not align honed with studs and it really should be.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I believe I read in another post that the big block studs/ bolts were slightly longer than 348/409s. :dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Those big block bolts/studs are .200-.250 longer than the W bolts.You must deepen the holes in the block for them to work.Ishiftem's right,if you're using studs,the block needs to be align honed,unless you just love buying main bearings.

tubb59

Only mocking things up at this time guys before align honing making sure I have all the pieces and parts needed, but thanks for all your info that's all the stuff I had already read and that's why I purchased the arp 135 5402 for the 2 bolt main stud kit for Big Blocks was told that it was a no-brainer

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
He says the shank of the studs is hitting the top of the hole which means the stud is threaded as far as it can go and they are still too long. Only different studs are going to fix that. You can't thread the stud in further if the stud has no threads left.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Screw an Allen set screw in first that will provide an alternative “stop” for the stud.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The arp BOLTS that Ronnie used are no longer made,or at least stocked[listed] by outfits like Summit.What Crusin posted is for studs.Just make sure that if you're going that way to have the block line honed AFTER you install the new studs.You shouldn't replace rod bolts without resizing the big end of he rod[that is if you expect it to live],same deal here.