mallory distributor with 6AL

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dumb ? Doing some research. When i wired my ignition I use the diagram with the 6AL. I didn't have one for the unilite. For some reason I looked on line at the unilite diagram and it has a resistor in the switch circuit. MSD does not. Mallory says MUST have. Does anyone have experience with this?? I think I need to add a resistor.

mallory figure 4
https://prestoliteperformance.com/m..._wiring_diagram_test_procedure_1214M_0000.pdf

MSD pg 11
https://www.msdignition.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=15032386116

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I don't have experience with the Mallory so keep that in mind when reading my response. There is a note on the First reference site diagram for using Mallory with aftermarket electronic ignition controls that says:

Installing an ignition ballast

resistor has no effect on the performance
of the ignition system.
However, installing or retaining
the original ignition ballast resistor
allows for easy conversion back to
standard ignition.

The purpose of the ballast resistor is to protect the ignition coil not the electronics inside the distributor. The diagram shows three wires from the Mallory distributor. Brown wire is ground. Red wire hot when key is ON (and START). Green wire triggers the 6AL box white wire. I haven't a clue what the Ring Terminal Connectors No 450 items shown on the Mallory diagram are - they are not shown on the MSD diagram.

The second referenced site for MSD recommends bypassing the ballast resistor.

Hope this helps

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Those ring terminal connectors # 450 are plastic encased "junction boxes" I'd call them....that allow you to keep your ring terminal wire ends on the engine harness side. You go from them with a shorter section of wire having ring terminals on that end and spade terminals (or whatever your box/distributor requires on the other. This way if you have a box failure or want to remove for any reason (such as trouble shooting an ignition problem) you can do so without having to cut and splice wires. They are not in any way necessary, but are kinda handy.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is the part that caught my attention at the very beginning of the mallory instructions

Before installing the UNILITE
®
Distributor, make sure that your vehicle is equipped with an ignition ballast resistor (or loom
resistance wire) in the wire between the ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal. Check a service manual for your vehicle to locate the ignition ballast resistor (or loom resistance wire). If your vehicle is not equipped with an ignition ballast resistor,
install a Mallory Ignition Ballast Resistor Part No. 700 in the wire between the ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal.
Failure to use an ignition ballast resistor will eventually destroy the UNILITE
®
Ignition Module

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't have experience with the Mallory so keep that in mind when reading my response. There is a note on the First reference site diagram for using Mallory with aftermarket electronic ignition controls that says:

Installing an ignition ballast

resistor has no effect on the performance
of the ignition system.
However, installing or retaining
the original ignition ballast resistor
allows for easy conversion back to
standard ignition.

The purpose of the ballast resistor is to protect the ignition coil not the electronics inside the distributor. The diagram shows three wires from the Mallory distributor. Brown wire is ground. Red wire hot when key is ON (and START). Green wire triggers the 6AL box white wire. I haven't a clue what the Ring Terminal Connectors No 450 items shown on the Mallory diagram are - they are not shown on the MSD diagram.

The second referenced site for MSD recommends bypassing the ballast resistor.

Hope this helps
I saw this too. This is my thought too. The purpose of the ballast resistor is to protect the ignition coil not the electronics inside the distributor. And makes me think I need to add the resistor
OOPS should read And makes me think I DON"T need to add the resistor

Last edited:

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Three of the four Mallory wiring diagrams show full battery voltage (+12 VDC) routed to the electronics inside the Mallory distributor (no ballast resistor).

One Mallory diagram shows voltage to the electronics inside the Mallory distributor going trhough a ballast resistor. Either way works for the distributor.

If you are using your Mallory distributor to trigger a 6AL box you do not need a ballast resistor for the 6AL box.

The Mallory distributor is happy with out the ballast resistor and the 6AL box is better without a ballast resistor - go without the ballast resistor.

If you are using the Mallory distributor and a coil (no ignition box) you do need a ballast resistor.

Could be wrong but that's my take on the situation.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Don.

I am sure the warning to use a ballast resistor on the Mallory site applies when using a Mallory distributor with a coil (no 6AL box).

That warning does not apply and is not necessary (the warning and the ballast resistor is not necessary) when using a Mallory distributor to trigger a 6AL box.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
An alternative could be,if the car uses a ballast resistor,wire the Mallory unit as per instructions,use the 12 terminal from the switch to the resistor to power the 6AL.Then wire in the trigger wire to the MSD.You should then have the best of both worlds.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oops made a type o in that post above.
OK guys I'm going to leave it the way it is. thanks

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I sure hope all of you have had more luck with the Mallory Unilite modules than most people I know.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A Mallory Unilite left me stranded in the staging lanes once. Had to push my car on the trailer. Sold it at a swap meet.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Have had 3 Unilites and wont have another one,
No control box though, used ballast resistor as per specs but on 3 separate occasions they have let me down and over here the module is almost the price of a new distributor
Went back to GM with points

Steve

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Have had 3 Unilites and wont have another one,
No control box though, used ballast resistor as per specs but on 3 separate occasions they have let me down and over here the module is almost the price of a new distributor
Went back to GM with points

Steve
Doesn't Pertronix make an Ignitor module to replace the Unilite module? Aren't they more reliable?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
And all this time I thought the ballast resistor was there to prevent excessive burning of the points.................no points, no BR?:scratch

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And all this time I thought the ballast resistor was there to prevent excessive burning of the points.................no points, no BR?:scratch
I would agree on a stock setup. This is not and I don't know about the mallory (or anything else). I see the diagram as having resistors in the last 2 diagrams. Ignition directly to BR to distributor. 1st one BA is a juntion. 2nd could be, but wiring doesn't make sence that way, only if "others" is 12v hot. This statment makes me think it will be ok to run without BR. From diagram 3/4
Installing an ignition ballast resistor has no effect on the performance of the ignition system. However, installing or retaining the original ignition ballast resistor allows for easy conversion back to standard ignition.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Yes - you are correct. No ballast resistor and the points burn and the coil over heats. Sure happy we have modern ignition that eliminated points!

chuckl

Well Known Member
Three of the four Mallory wiring diagrams show full battery voltage (+12 VDC) routed to the electronics inside the Mallory distributor (no ballast resistor).

One Mallory diagram shows voltage to the electronics inside the Mallory distributor going trhough a ballast resistor. Either way works for the distributor.

If you are using your Mallory distributor to trigger a 6AL box you do not need a ballast resistor for the 6AL box.

The Mallory distributor is happy with out the ballast resistor and the 6AL box is better without a ballast resistor - go without the ballast resistor.

If you are using the Mallory distributor and a coil (no ignition box) you do need a ballast resistor.

Could be wrong but that's my take on the situation.
Agree. I have a 348/409 distributor with a Mallory Unilite module, Mallory 700 ballast resistor and Mallory coil (no internal resistor). Works good, lasts a long time.