mallory part numbers

BC409

Supporting Member 1
hi guys,does anyone have an old mallory catalog? I am trying to identify an old dual point distributor i got in a load of swapmeet stuff.the numbers are"MALLORY DOUBLE LIFE DISTRIBUTOR YC531HP" I tried looking all over the web and couldnt find anything. thanx for your help.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Yeah,
I have one too that I would like to identify.
YC-465-HP
kind of a neat old piece. Looks like a cable drive for tachometer???

Attachments

• Mallory4.jpg
    Mallory4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Mallory.jpg
    Mallory.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Mallory3.jpg
    Mallory3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Mallory2.jpg
    Mallory2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 38

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Jim.
That is a lot more than I knew before.
You always seem to be able to dig up information that nobody else can find.
Thanks.

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
some help maybe

BC409 said:
hi guys,does anyone have an old mallory catalog? I am trying to identify an old dual point distributor i got in a load of swapmeet stuff.the numbers are"MALLORY DOUBLE LIFE DISTRIBUTOR YC531HP" I tried looking all over the web and couldnt find anything. thanx for your help.

The YC531 was a dual point with a 4 lobe cam. It's advantage was 1/2 the point wear. The breaker plate was set so one set of points worked 4 cylinders each time around. There was really no performance advantage to it. It was like having 2 single point distributors ini one with twice the lifetme on the points. (but you're buying 2 sets of points anyway, right?) The 531 (minus the YC) was also a dual point but with an 8 lobe cam. It's advantage was both points sets were closed at the same time longer than one set could stay closed, staggered so the "effictive" dwell was much longer than the normal 28-32, thus allowing more primary coil saturation and a higher voltage from the secondary when it collasped.
I don't have a catelog, but I've fooled with them.
The points sets and rotors are hard to find today. Chevy stuff won't fit.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Vintage Ignition.
what else can you tell me about the distributor?
I know nothing about these.
Thanks, Todd (droptop62)

Are the point sets retained with one or two screws each? Mallory built both types, points vary for each type.

You can do what a lot of people also do, only use one set of points. Mallory made later dists with only one set of points as well.

There may be a chance a local NAPA store will have the points, they have the rotors for the dist you posted pics for, and places like PAW have the caps, aren't expensive for the cap set, like $20.00 or so. Condensers are easy, don't have to be mallory, but they are available as well.

Just for anyone who wants it's information:

Cap: Mallory, pn 4001, about $20.00 at places like PAW< Summit
Rotor: NAPA MA7

Points, two sets were used, match them up, depends on the dist date of manufacture:
NAPA CS2300
NAPA CS2301
Difference is in the mounting
Condenser: NAPA MA3

There are alternate caps for these dists, they are of conventional design, and do not use the upper and lower caps with the rubber retainer, they use conventional sockets and are black:

NAPA MA5
NAPA MA9

As I said, just FYI.