Man ol man.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I threw in the towel. Making up a bypass system for the new dual quad intake. Holly quick fuel. Things were going ok until I got to plumbing past the carbs. My carbs are Carters so Holly does not apply. Since the carb spread on my McQuillen intake is a one off spread I have to make up my own. Pouring through the Summit catalog is useless unless you know the name of every fitting. Can you say "Road Trip" . I'm heading to Summit racing Monday with all my info and not leaving until I get past the carbs and bypass back to the tank. Seems like I could handle this when I was younger but now I just can't handle the minutiae. I just want to race!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know how you feel Ray I have a lot of time researching all the part numbers for fittings for the planned fuel system in my 62 and I’m hoping I have all the correct ones and correct amounts when I go to assemble it!
My research amounted to "How much fuel can I get up to the motor through 3/8 hardline?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
1964superstocker I ran the 3/8 hardline when I ran the 468 but with the supercharged 380 going in I’m gonna make sure I got plenty of fuel to it. I have a magnafuel pro tuner 750 pump that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple years that I’m gonna put to use.
My 434 should be good with the 3/8. Besides I don't plan to go any bigger with the motor in my wagon. My 2dr sedan will need bigger line.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My research amounted to "How much fuel can I get up to the motor through 3/8 hardline?
My research says that a 3/8" line will not feed the engine I have now. I can't speak for your engines needs but will suggest that anyone that is seriously laying down ET at the track needs to Address the fuel systems needs. I have been in touch with "winners" and they know my old system and all tell me I needed an upgrade. Hard to make a case against someone running better numbers than you are. I'm looking for that "ahaha" moment.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was always told to be sure to check the sizing inside your fittings from the very begining all the way to the carb. You don't want a bottle neck due to poor selection of parts. I have to tap my fuel sending unit on my wagon because it has a small factory pick-up tube for the small block it was born with.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have -10 from tank to pump, -10 from the pump to 40 micron filter ahead of engine then reduced to -8 running past the carbs to a bypass regulator and -10 back to tank. Same here Dan, I think I'll be ok.
I run clear glass filters when ever possible. Mine only have 3/8 in and out on them but I'm only guessing they make larger styles. Anyone running larger than 3/8 glass filters?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Is -10 back to the tank kinda big :dunno
Just make sure your return doesn't create a bunch of bobble's.
It's in the instructions for this setup. I thought the same thing. Return goes in the bottom of the tank on the other side of the sump. It's a closed system, where would bubbles come from. Anyway the larger hose causes less turbulence. I'm sure Holly designed the return line for -10 to reduce back pressure. Any back pressure on the return line would screw up the regulator. I actually went to school for this, hydraulics/pneumatics when I worked for the water dept. Distribution system operator was my title. I held a class II EPA license. So a lot of this makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's in the instructions for this setup. I thought the same thing. Return goes in the bottom of the tank on the other side of the sump. It's a closed system, where would bubbles come from. Anyway the larger hose causes less turbulence. I'm sure Holly designed the return line for -10 to reduce back pressure. Any back pressure on the return line would screw up the regulator. I actually went to school for this, hydraulics/pneumatics when I worked for the water dept. Distribution system operator was my title. I held a class II EPA license. So a lot of this makes sense to me.
Ray... I am always amazed at how much stuff I can apply and relate to this hobby that I’ve learned while working in the water distribution system. That class II license can be bear to get.