Man ol man.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hell, I grew up in Appalachia. That's all we had in our first two houses. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when in the first grade we had a four holer.

You can't ever have to many holes Fathead. My Uncle Roy didn't get running water in the house until the early 60's. I remember one time me & my Cousin were playing outside one real windy day and the old two holler went cartwheeling through the back yard, we laughed our @ss's off.

Mark

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The first house we had plumbing in my father put in himself. Dug the well by hand along with my uncle. We had one cold water spigot over the kitchen sink. He then plumbed in an indoor privy, used a small closet, just enough room for the pot. I can remember when you flushed if you were fast enough you could run down to the creek and watch your business come out the clay tile and float on down the creek.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The first house we had plumbing in my father put in himself. Dug the well by hand along with my uncle. We had one cold water spigot over the kitchen sink. He then plumbed in an indoor privy, used a small closet, just enough room for the pot. I can remember when you flushed if you were fast enough you could run down to the creek and watch your business come out the clay tile and float on down the creek.

I bet you had a lot of mushrooms growing in your creek.

Mark

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ray, guess you don't like crawldads not to say that I blame you. :barf
Not true! I have enjoyed eating crawdads many times. Ain't nutten like sitting in a bar in Folsom Louisiana with a cold beer and a bucket of spicy Cajun crawdads. I was camping with a few like minded good ole boys many years ago and we hit the creek and gigged some frogs and caught a turtle. That and a bucket of crawdads made one of the most memorable meals I ever had. Like I said, I grew up in Appalachian county.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Good eatin an ol snapper is.....:cigar
In my life I have eaten snapper, (the snapper that has a shell that is) probably five or six times. I can never remember a bad experience as far as taste. I could live without trying it again tho. Most of the times I have tried snapper there was alcohol involved, it was cooked in water over an open fire, I can remember skimming scum off the top of said water and I was sleeping in a tent.

wristpin

Well Known Member
In my life I have eaten snapper, (the snapper that has a shell that is) probably five or six times. I can never remember a bad experience as far as taste. I could live without trying it again tho. Most of the times I have tried snapper there was alcohol involved, it was cooked in water over an open fire, I can remember skimming scum off the top of said water and I was sleeping in a tent.
Homeless but still dragracing huh

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

Ha. I can see why you're not hot to have it again Ray.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
No way James. Roll the pieces in flour, brown, then throw in oven until tender. Tastes so good you forget how bad it smelled when you cleaned it. I used to trap them back in the last century. Anybody ever clean one?
Yes there's the smell. Most people I have had the experience with could not get past the smell. I have had it pan fried and most of the time when we boiled it we would brown it over the fire. As far as the smell goes, it does not go away while you are boiling it. Just the same I would do it again without hesitation although my cooking methods are way more advanced to date.