Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
re·dux

rēˈdəks,ˈrēˈdəks/

adjective: redux
  1. brought back; revived.
"the 1980s were far more than just the '50s redux"

Manshed redux

Some of you might remember wayyyy back when I started a project to build a “manshed” on my 5 acres that I put a street in and developed with 28 building lots (circa 2005). I set aside a double lot near the front of the subdivision, the crappiest lot of them all (as it’s nearest the road) but the best for a manshed (easy access, had multi-level and subterranean potential, etc.). Got a building permit and laid out the foundation, even poured the ten foot walls after roughing in the plumbing and sewer. Then the financial markets went south in 2008 (remember that?) and it was a challenge to get funding for a while. So the project came to a halt and I spent all the set aside monies paying interest on a huge development loan for 3-4 years. At least I didn’t go bankrupt like some of my counterparts in town…

Fast forward six years and I got back to building and finished 18 new buildings and got out from under those lots. I still own the buildings and the lots, but tenants now pay my multiple mortgages. Sure I owe a ton of dollars to various banks, but things have settled a bit and the tide is turning. Now banks want to lend me money again. Imagine that!

I am currently packaging 12 buildings together in a refinance with a new banking partner, and just for kicks I threw in an extra line item to finish the “manshed”. My banker asked for more details (always a good sign) and a budget, which I provided. Even I was a bit surprised at how materials pricing and labor costs have risen. I currently have about $85K into the cost of the lot, the excavation, the utilities and the 40’ by 60’ foundation wall (with ten foot ceilings in the lower basement area). That sounds like a lot to me, but there it is.

The remaining cost of the build will depend on whether I pour a suspended concrete first floor (for cars) or I use engineered “I” beams (for people). Suspended concrete is looking real expensive at this point, since code requires an engineering study for the specific design. When calling around I was told to expect a fee of $5K to $8K for an engineered structural design. I might just suspend part of the first floor (for a 2 car garage space) and stick build the rest (for humans to walk) to save dollars. The bank has asked me to consider putting a rental unit on the first floor and that would be doable, as I could simply stick build it. It’s at street level with a 40’ by 46” footprint. Adding a 29th rental building complicates things, as it is a Planned Unit Development and by code requires City Council approval to make changes to the subdivision plat. That will take about three months and will require an engineering fee as well as bureaucratic hoops to jump through. My civil engineer tells me that this should go through unopposed, but I’m still burned by what neighbors claimed in an open forum when I first proposed the subdivision (I have thin skin and a long memory).

So much of this past month I have been preparing the 40’ by 60’ footprint for possible new construction. Had to show the space to my banker and since it was all filled up with car parts and cars, I thought it would present better if I moved everything out. I left a small 18’ by 21’ carport and a 40 foot storage container and moved everything else up the hill onto a vacant lot (yes, I still have two vacant building lots!). Not real pretty, but I put a temporary fence around it so the neighbors wouldn’t complain. Now I have two unfinished projects, as the stuff will eventually have to be moved back down once the building goes up (assuming that happens). It's a bit of a shell game right now, moving stuff around only to have to move it all back at some point. Not the first time I’ve ever done that…

Here is a current pic of the lower basement level inside the 40” by 60” foundation:
IMG_8952.JPG

Here is a pic of the stuff I had to move to clear the space out:

IMG_8948.JPG

So now I have something to do over the winter months, plan the building. I have an initial rendering from my original architect, it’s pretty expensive to complete but would keep in line with the high quality of buildings that we have already constructed. And it will look more like a house than a storage unit. The exterior will be cementious fiber board (Hardie plank) the roof line will be stick built, the shingles will be architectural, it will have lots of windows and some hand laid stone around the lower sections, all to blend in with existing construction.

There will be 2400 square feet in the basement level (ten foot ceilings) with one 14’ by 40’ section having a 16 foot ceiling so I can put in a lift. The first floor will be 1840 square feet (40’ by 46’) and that will either be a suspended concrete floor (expensive) or some combination of engineered flooring with a possible section of a suspended concrete floor (less expensive). The budget to finish the project is in the “cost of a Z-11” range :) :) :).

I have experience in new construction, but it’s mostly stick built homes. No previous experience with suspended concrete. I do know that one must have plans drawn up by a registered engineer for the suspended concrete ceiling. Placement of load and the footers are critical. Also, rebar would be the 5/8” variety spaced at 8 inch intervals. That’s a lot of rebar! Concrete could be as much as 8 inches. I need to do the math for the extra cost of a suspended concrete ceiling to see if that is feasible.

Any experience out there with suspended concrete floors? I have a good concrete man and a competent engineer, but I’m the one who has to live with the finished product and I want to do this right the first time. Any insights are most welcome.

Cheers!

TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds good Tom. I was contemplating building my own also before we found our new acreage. I was going to go with suspended concrete floor also and talked with several persons knowledgeable about the process. The best advise came from a guy who did his own........on the concrete...he said anything over 6" is not good. The additional weight of the concrete is too heavy and you have to go more rebar.
Just something to check with your engineer. I'm going to keep next Aug. open for the new Open House festitives!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cheers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Tom,
I have worked with a Structual Engineering firm -off and on for 10 + years (in businesses for 40 + years) with me doing Civil Engineering on streets/sewers/parks.
I will discuss it with them. Owner is in his 80's, structual detailer is a car guy Nova and Vette owner. I am sure they have done something like what
you want to do.
Paul

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Tom,
I think i can help.
If i send a shipping container to your address you can put the two cars under the carport in it and i can get them picked up, transported and stored (longterm).
This will tidy the lot up for the bank man and also make it easier for you to build:D
Just a thought:hug

Good luck with your plans
Have you got any pics of the whole development?

Steve

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks for your support and encouragement. I can't wait to get started (again)!

Tom: Good to hear from you! Thanks for the link on the prestressed concrete, I wonder if that's something I can do locally? Interesting product, looks to be a viable solution depending on material cost and labor to install.

Paul: I'll be interested to hear what your buddies suggest. I would like to make the entire main level something I can put cars on at some point. Might have to build a livable quarters inside to satisfy the bean counters, but in the long run (five years out?) I suspect I could use the space wisely.

Steve: I've already got a container on site, I will need to remove that as well. Can I just ship one car and the container directly to you? :) :) :)

Looks like I'll have some time to plan this out, as the wheels at City Hall move slowly. They are saying at least three months to get it through the hoops to be an actionable item on the City Council docket :(.

Am open to suggestions on options for designing that first floor, given the restrictions I am held to!

TomK

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Tom

Kudos to you for hanging in there for the long haul. There had to be a lot of sleepless nights and pressure on you when things were going down the crapper. It takes a lot of patience and perseverance to stick with it. I hope you make lots of hard earned dollars off the project.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Quick update on the project. A month ago I presented my rezoning case to the Planning and Zoning Commission and they voted 8-0 in favor of my proposal. Last Monday the City of Columbia approved the final replat of the 5 acres to include the new building. So now we have the legal stuff out of the way. I did have to make a concession, to build a living unit on the main level. That requires that I give up 920 square feet that I can't use for the shop, but it does give me some income that will offset the loan payout. With this current design, I would have 2400 square feet subterranean and only 920 square feet on the main level for storage. I guess that's worth the compromise.

The next steps are to have an appraisal on the building plans, which had to be updated to include the living space. I kinda roughed that out in a CAD program real quick just to keep the ball rolling. I need that appraisal to come in solid so that the bank feels comfortable in making the construction loan. I've got quite a few expenditures out there flailing in the wind, I hope things continue in a positive fashion.

Next week I hope to connect with a local Structural Engineer to develop a detailed plan for the suspended concrete floor. And I need to move three cars, a carport and a storage container to some other location on the property for the time being. It keeps getting more complicated.

Cheers!
TomK

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Tom,
I think i can help.
If i send a shipping container to your address you can put the two cars under the carport in it and i can get them picked up, transported and stored (longterm).
This will tidy the lot up for the bank man and also make it easier for you to build:D
Just a thought:hug

Good luck with your plans
Have you got any pics of the whole development?

Steve

See Tom, this is why I love this site. Guys on here always willing to help you out.:poke

Good luck with your appraisal and hope it all goes as planned, you will have a nice manshed.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tom,
Glad to know that you have things moving again. My wife and I took the tour of the property with you back in 2009 when we were making our first trip to Kansas.
Hang in there