Manual brake MC sizing and pressures

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So the first attempted track outing last month on the 500" Pontiac motor/Camaro the Strange /Mopar MC just would not get enough hold for the line lock to hold the car for a burn out. Crappy track we left after two 1/8 passes. Also brakes did not slow the car as much as I would have liked at the top end, 102 in the 1/8th with a SLOW 60 ft, but brakes probably not completely bedded in yet also.

It always took a lot of leg pressure to build pressure max pressure on front and rear gauges after master were maybe 700psi. The MC was a 1 1/8" I had bought years ago. Swapped on a Mopar style 21mm(7/8"), stayed Mopar style as the pushrod and Heim I had set up for the other one. Wow it can make 1100psi with the same leg pressure! It does have a moderate amount of increased travel. I'm going to give this one a try next outing(if it ever stops raining) if the travel is just too much there is a 24mm(about .94") I'll try.

So getting the correct MC size can make a big difference. Many of the manual GM disc/drum cars used a 1"MC, I know Baer even hasa GM style 15/16" it uses for many of it's setups. My 64 has a later Impala dual reservoir manual 1" MC with a moderate deep pushrod recess I am trying on it as more room around the valve covers without a power booster.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i believe my vette came with a 1 1/8 master. with drums. jim

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Why would you ever try a 1 1/8" master for manual brakes?

I had it and in the Strange Catalog they recommend it for 4WD. And 4 pistons may end up on the rear and the current rear has more piston sq in that 4 piston Dynalites

"Application
Vehicles with front and rear manual disc brakes
Normally used with four piston calipers in both the front and rear brakes "

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You have to have lots of surface area from multiple or big pistons to use 1 1/8" for manual. The common app is on some big trucks that have 3.25" pistons up front. Not a normal car situation.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Wilwood Dynalites have 4 pistons per caliper and are in most of their disc brake kits. But yes a little big MC for these. I thought since the rear metric has a little bigger piston it might be worth a try but nope.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dynalites have tiny pistons. I thought you had said that you have some kind of multiple caliper set up. Also a rigid mount caliper you don't count all the pistons different then a floater.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Nope just 4 1.75" piston Dynalites on front and the 2.5s on the back.

I have a dual circle track type pressure gauge plumbed before the LineLok and before the adjustable rear prop valve.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
One friend did saw instead of swapping another one in if I do not like the feel of this one try swapping the rod to the lower hole to get less travel, but will have a little less leverage.