Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 700R4

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Kicking around a transmission choice for my 63. The powerglide has to go regardless and a 700R4 would be easier to install and cheaper but the 4 speed gives that good old wow factor.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not as easy to just pick a tranny for your needs unless we know what your intended use for the car. If you want the manual four gear and just want to cruise I would chose that and plan on running a 3:08 rear gear and 29" tire. If you plan on a few blasts down the strip I would chose the 700R4 with a 4:11 rear gear with a 28" tire. What say you?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
3.08's in that heavy of a car would be hard on clutches,especially if you put anything resembling a cam in the engine.I'd still suggest the 700r4 with a 3.70 rear and a 26 inch rear tire..If you go stick,3.55's and a 26 inch tire assuming a mild [say 224 in.-230 ex.@.050] cam in a stock stroke 409.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I liked the 4l60e (which is pretty much a electronic controlled 700r4) I had in my 62. I ran 3.55 gears and 245/60/15 tires on the rear with a 468 big block. It would burn the tires with no problems and still got 17mpg. But now I’m going 4 speed just for the fun factor when I put my w motor in.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yes, three peddles are more fun. I love driving the GTO. 3:36 gear does a fine job for both light to light and thruway cruising but if I were to plan a long, over 300 miles trip I probably wouldn't pick the Goat. Just a fact of life. FYI, the four speed Goat in 65 came standard with a 3:23 rear gear. Mine has the 3:36 because I could not find a new 3:23.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not as easy to just pick a tranny for your needs unless we know what your intended use for the car. If you want the manual four gear and just want to cruise I would chose that and plan on running a 3:08 rear gear and 29" tire. If you plan on a few blasts down the strip I would chose the 700R4 with a 4:11 rear gear with a 28" tire. What say you?

Street. Would only on a rare occasion make a 1/4 mile pass.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If one is insistant on a manual,but would like the overdrive feature for cruiser,the Muncie built by Auto Gear would be a good option.They can be bought new for about what a super T-10 would cost,and they have more than one overdrive ratio available.

Clint

Well Known Member
Yes, three peddles are more fun. I love driving the GTO. 3:36 gear does a fine job for both light to light and thruway cruising but if I were to plan a long, over 300 miles trip I probably wouldn't pick the Goat. Just a fact of life. FYI, the four speed Goat in 65 came standard with a 3:23 rear gear. Mine has the 3:36 because I could not find a new 3:23.

My 4 speed is backed by a 3.25. I love it