• 4 speed

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 700R4

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

61 tripps

Well Known Member
I decided to change from the original auto to 4 speed on my recent restoration of the 61. A couple of opinions from this site convinced me. The original 283 is now a 348 tri-power and figured to go all the way. As to value, a purist would want it original, but I plan on keeping it. I believe it has 3.08 gears that run well highway or local roads. Don't know about 63s, but I had to salvage new and old parts from all over. Would recommend buying a complete used or rebuilt clutch assembly before pulling things apart

61 tripps

Well Known Member
Don't run a rebuilt clutch disc,or you'll wind up hating life!!!!!!!!!!!:deal
Bought new clutch disc, z bar, clips, rods, that are reproduced. Had to work with a parts dealer who bought a used assembly and sold me just the heavy duty spring from it that was needed and exclusive for that year. 61's are forgotten sometimes when it comes to reproduced parts. Very satisfied going manual, but pedals are stiff. Thinking if I bought complete - with new disc- it might of been less Labor, and work smoother.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Stick shift all the way. I'm actually looking at a TKO-600. I don't plan any trips down the quarter mile in a convertible, but I do want it to be fun to drive. besides to go down the quarter mile they would require me to install seat belts. Probably go with 3.42 rear gear at the same time. Luckily for the 63 everything you need appears to be available as a reproduction part.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Remember for a TKO -600 it will require major modifications to the floor tunnel to fit in the car - from the firewall to the just under the front seat edge (for 61 to 64 Chevy's for sure)
You have to cut out the entire tunnel and make a new taller tunnel cover. If you have carpet in the car I bet it will not fit the higher tunnel (my point is the carpet has to be taller and wider (You might have to start with new carpet )-I think this comment is correct

Modifying the tunnel is a major reason is why I went with a Richmond 5 Speed or now a Richmond 6 speed ( zero tunnel modifications needed) plus I wanted a transmission that shifts like a Muncie. 4 speed and has overdrive. I drove a friends 61 Chevy with a Richmond 5 speed to check out how it shifted.
Finally I wanted my factory 1962 SS shift plate to fit on the existing tunnel and fit around the Hurst 5 speed shifter on the Richmond 5 speed.

I have one 62 Chevy 327/300 HP convertible with a 700R4. I prefer 4 speeds or the 5 speeds by far way --to much fun to drive....:burnout
I bought the 62 with the 700R4. All my other cars were restored with 4 speeds or the most recent 5 speed in my 62 SS 409 Convertible

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I can't imagine having a 409 coupled with an automatic. 409's and 4 speeds just seem to go better together. I remember a while ago, seeing a '63 Impala convertible, white-black top-red interior-on ebay-San Francisco area-409-auto-a/c-non SS, that didn't sell. Not sure what the reserve or last bid was. This car was outstanding. Auto or not, I would proudly have owned it. I regret not contacting the owner. Guess it might come down to what the car actually is and my intentions for it. I have a TH 400 trans. in my GTO and my '56 gasser. Can't honestly say I miss the shifting.

Some rear gears are mentioned in these threads. I looked for the answer myself and couldn't find it. Were 3.23 gears ever offered in '58-'64??? If so, what year did that offering begin. If not, what was the closest ratio to that going numerically lower?? Thanks, Carmine.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Some rear gears are mentioned in these threads. I looked for the answer myself and couldn't find it. Were 3.23 gears ever offered in '58-'64??? If so, what year did that offering begin. If not, what was the closest ratio to that going numerically lower?? Thanks, Carmine.

Carmine,
You can find that information in a Document call "19XX -Chevrolet passenger Car Specifications", the XX represents the model year of your interest. Tons of information about what was available on these cars is in those publications. I have 1961 through 1964. The page shown below is from the 1961-Chevrolet passenger Car Specifications. I imagine 58,59 & 60 would be the same. If one of the years I have interests you send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward a PDF copy of that year to you.

I'm pretty sure it was Cecil who turned us on to the GM Heritage Center a few years ago. If you're interested in other years you can probably find those pubs there: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

26993790_10214439857207367_2098689696728757569_n.jpg

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,the 3.23 ratio didn't appear in the Chevrolets until the advent of the 8.5 rear end assembly in 1971.