Many Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you all sooooo much who came and supported my crazy idea about having a convention!!!!! You have all given me a lifetime of memories!!!!! I have a couple of days to wrap everything up and I'll be back on a regular basis.

A couple of observations before I go. I went up to the Embassy Suites to have breakfast with Hayden this morning and take him to the airport. The cook in the restaurant told Hayden, that of ALL the conventions and meetings that the Embasy has had....his favorite was this past week with all the hot rodders!!!!!!

As I told several who came......my overall feeling of those who were here is a smiley that Bob has put on here........ :hug :hug :hug :hug

As one participant told me...several times.....this was the most fun he had ever had with his clothes on!!!!!!!!

Every participant received a REAL DOT Interstate mile marker 348 or 409 sign. It was given to them at registration and were told to bring it to the banquet. "Why" they asked??? I said "you will find out at the banquet"!!! I'm standing in the lobby Friday evening waiting to take Hayden to the banquet. The Embassy is a very nice hotel including glass elevators. As I am standing in the lobby by myself, someone gets on the elevator on the 5th floor to come down to the lobby.....carrying his 409 mile marker sign!! As the elevator was coming down, I absolutely broke out in laughter!!!! Here all these grown men coming thru the lobby and then into the banquet...carrying their mile marker signs.....AND NOT KNOWING WHY THEY WERE DOING IT!!!! :roll :roll :roll That was one of my personal MasterCard moments......it was PRICELESS!!!!!

Thank you again.....it's been an incredible ride for me!!!

Phil

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil,

Once again, thank you for putting this all together. It was incredible.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll second that!

Thanks again Phil! Memories forever. What a great time! :clap
NUT

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
convention

Phil, a week to remember ALWAYS. What a job you did. You and your crew are outstanding. Everything was GREAT. You have to be really proud of what you were able to accomplish. I know Candy had a big part in this, too. To both of you, my sincere thanks. And I'm sure I can say that for all. Not that I am, I'm sure they will do the same for them selves.
I wish Aubrey could have made it, as he does too.

Thanks again, Phil, Candy, and all the rest that had a hand in putting on the best convention I have ever attended.

Fred

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Great Show

Phil,

The 348/409 convention was a great, great show!!!! Where can you go and see beautiful rare cars, talk with famous 409 racing lengends, have a nice dinner and see some great drags. Given the short time Phil had to work with, he did a great job and I also want to thank the others who made it possible with there 409 Z11 collection. If Phil does a 2nd convention---dont miss it!! Also buy his dvd!!!! Its worth the price just to listen to Lamar Walden talk about 409s.

Also, Phil,,, thank you for helping me with the Dick Harrell signature book.

Ill post pictures at my site http://www.oil4kids.com/348409conv

HOTROD HEI

My Funmeter Was Pegged

Phil,
Thanks to you and all who worked with you to give the rest of us more than we could have ever expected!!!! :clap :clap :clap
I am still trying to mount "The Worlds Biggest Dash Plaque" on the shop wall.

A special thanks to all of you who brought your 348's,409's and Z-11's, my Funmeter was on "MAX" all week.

Bob

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
I cried aLL week long...wife thanks it's cause I'm turning 60 this weekend...she just doesn't understand...

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thanks

All I can say is thank you Phil for the great time! I hope there is another show next year and my whole family can attend. P.S. I'm the one who kept his clothes on all weekend!!! :roll

4spd409

Well Known Member
Great convention

Phil, Thanks again for a great convention. It was one of those things you just can't describe to someone you just had to be there. I think everyone that was there will be smiling for weeks.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
thanks phil

jimmy (1963 black belair named bustout) and me tag-a-long would like to thank you again for the great ride down memory lane. what a wild ride,will always remember it. i dont' talk much but jimmy couldn't keep me quiet all the way back to ohio. we sure did have fun! gearhead409 and jimmy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks for posting

GearHead409, you and your friend Jimmy were the two fellas across from me at dinner, correct? It was TomO, myself, BJBurnout and his wife, JimsSS409 and his buddy Jim and you two guys. After a bit of discussion you whipped out a couple of pics from your wallet of previous Hot Rods, very impressive. And your buddy has a cadre of some 14 409 engines, plus a dozen or two 1962 SS cars.

You two guys are prime examples of the "reach" this Forum has in terms of impacting the hobby. According to Jimmy, these two read lots of our posts, but don't post a lot themselves. I had mentioned this to Bob in a private communication, telling him of how this site has fostered real comraderie across the nation (and apparently in Finland as well :)).

Thanks for Phil Reed and his team for pulling off a great venue. Thanks to Bob Johns for a great website. And congratulations to GearHead409 on his first (of perhaps many?) posts :)

Cheers!
TomK

ed409chevy

Supporting Member 3
Phast Fill, you did a really fine job as stated above. The entire convention was very "magicial". It was a real pleasure to see all my old friends again and meet so many new friends from the website. What a beautiful collection of some of the finest Chevys in the nation!!! It's a real shame all the members couldn't make it. What a fine time you missed. Doug Marion took hundreds of pictures, many of which will be featured in CHEVY RUMBLE. Doug is a genuine supporter of our hobby and really one of us, having raced a 409 back when. Where else in the world could you meet so many legends in one place? Hayden, Doug, Tom Jacobson, Rusty Symes, Terry Prince, Lamar Walden, Donny Schaffer, Don Fezzel, and the list goes on. WOW!!
You left me with lots of good memories, Phil. Thanks much, Ed Pogue

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil – Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for putting together the best event that I have ever attended. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I would see the collection on Z-11 cars under one roof like I did at the convention. Hayden and Doug treated me like they had known me forever. The mile marker is now hanging on the wall behind my 63’ as a reminder off the great times and great people that made the convention something I will always remember.

Thanks,

TomO

bobs409

Administrator
Just how many Z-11 cars were there? Can we prove or disprove the "7 left in existance" theory?

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,

I thought that there were 7 and a chasis there at the convention. I tried to count from the photo I posted, but the angle of the picture doesn't show it very well. I'll be someone has a more head on photo that will show exactly how many were there.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
I want to thank you again for your sincere dedication on orchestrating this
memorably gathering of 348 and 409's.
It was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :love :love :clap :clap :hug

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
z-11

I heard somewhere between 11 and 15 still exist in various stages of repair. The fellas that were talking about them seemed quite knowledgeable.

62BA409

Z-11 numbers

There were seven Z-11's on display plus one rolling chassis. 4 63's and 3 62's and the chassis. Colors were 3 white, 2 red, one green and one blue. There was a 63 honduras maroon on the lot that had "don't touch aluminum" decals on the fenders but I don't remember if it was a true Z-11. Owner was Ralph Dehne.