Master cylinder recommendations?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I am looking to upgrade my '62 Biscayne to front disk brakes (purchased from Mike) and am pretty sure the dual master brake cylinder I was going to use for the prior drum-drum setup isn't the proper choice. I looked on RockAuto for a dual master cylinder and used the profile for an early 1970s Caprice with a BBC because I assumed those would have disk brakes up front and drums in the rear. Lots of choices to select from amongst so I thought I'd ask what you guys are going with.

Any recommendations? I'm fitting up all new stainless steel brake lines from Inline and was initially hooking those up to a dual master that was for the drum-drum setup, then I realized that would likely be the wrong choice in master cylinder... Also looking for the proper location to mount the proportioning valve.

Thanks in advance!

TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am looking to upgrade my '62 Biscayne to front disk brakes (purchased from Mike) and am pretty sure the dual master brake cylinder I was going to use for the prior drum-drum setup isn't the proper choice. I looked on RockAuto for a dual master cylinder and used the profile for an early 1970s Caprice with a BBC because I assumed those would have disk brakes up front and drums in the rear. Lots of choices to select from amongst so I thought I'd ask what you guys are going with.

Any recommendations? I'm fitting up all new stainless steel brake lines from Inline and was initially hooking those up to a dual master that was for the drum-drum setup, then I realized that would likely be the wrong choice in master cylinder... Also looking for the proper location to mount the proportioning valve.

Thanks in advance!

TomK
Ask Mike.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1" bore for manual brakes. Use 1 1/8" for power brakes.
Drum brake master is fine but you have to remove the residual pressure valve from inside to use with disc brakes. if so equipped, usually are.
A Chevy master feeds the front brakes from the front port. The residual valve is a small check ball/spring located right behind the inverted flare cone in the port. You can first test to see if it exists by inserting a small drill bit into the hole, if it has one the bit will stop almost immediately being blocked by the valve, if it goes in freely then there is no valve and it's good as is.
To remove valve you pull out the inverted flare seat and remove ball/spring and then reassemble seatResidual-Valve.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's difficult finding a disc/drum master for manual brakes because as disc brakes became the norm so did power so most disc masters will be the large 1 1/8" bore for power
SCRATCH THAT MASTER-IT WAS 1 1/8"

I'm not certain now that this master is 1" bore, I'll try to verify

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it was my car I would use master Raybestos mc36367, which is a corvette 1" master. I wouldn't use the brass prop valve mounted on the left side as most are. I would plumb direct to the master for the cleanest possible look. If you feel you need a prop valve then install an adjustible in the rear brake line somewhere underneath to hide it. I usually run my cars without a prop valve and have not had any "lock up" issues.