Master cylinder

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just want to check one last time about a brake master cylinder. I found one at Ecklers which fits '58-'72 Chevys who are equipped with drum power brakes. That would be my '62. From previous threads here, I thought I read that no proportioning valve was needed for the stock power drum brakes. Looking at the application and specs as supplied by Ecklers, it is mentioned that a proportioning valve is needed. Do I have the right master cylinder?? Is that valve needed?? I don't want to order the wrong thing. Thank you, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I mistakenly put in a proportioning valve in place when I re-did my four drum brakes on the 62SS car and I didn't need it. Did that on my Corvette (also drum-drum) and things worked out fine, so I duplicated that on the Impala. Not necessary.

I also went with the master cylinder from Eckler's (then Late Great Chevy?) after I apparently put on the wrong one from NAPA.

Good luck!
TomK

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you kindly for the replies. I was a little confused there for a moment. If I may, just a quick follow up question. I'm going to use the front reservoir for the front brakes and the rear reservoir for the rear brakes. I do believe there are 2 different size ports on this master cylinder. Should I use the proper size brake line to accommodate these different ports, 3/16ths and 1/4 inch ?????, or through the use of fittings, make them the same??? I apologize if I have this back asswards, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am also debating putting on a dual mc. The thought of a single going to floor starting to scare me. S o what are you doing for line's. Mine has which is stock, a bigger line under front of engine valley front from left driver's splitter it goes bigger and under front of engine and goes to splitter on the pass side and goes back to smaller line to rear brake's and right front brake. Understand me???? Has small line from mc to driver's side splitter

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I am also debating putting on a dual mc. The thought of a single going to floor starting to scare me. S o what are you doing for line's. Mine has which is stock, a bigger line under front of engine valley front from left driver's splitter it goes bigger and under front of engine and goes to splitter on the pass side and goes back to smaller line to rear brake's and right front brake. Understand me???? Has small line from mc to driver's side splitter

Got it. Thank you. As for lines, I bought a coil of 3/16 steel line and fittings, which I will bend and double flare myself. They had some ridiculous prices for pre-bent lines. Besides, the long line from the back to the passenger front, comes bent and you have to unfold it. Leaves a kink in it and I don't like that. Bought the pre-bent lines for my '57 Belair and swore I would never do that again. Actually, I have the 2 rear lines already installed. Looks good.