Matching Numbers

wallyworld1

Being kind of new to this subject , I need a good explanation of "Matching Numbers Car". I have located what I'm being told is a matching numbers 64 Impala SS 409/425, 4-speed with posi. How can I really verify this statement. I have VIN, but no other numbers to use for verifaction.
Would appricate any advice/info anyone might have before I bust my bank account on this project.

bobs409

Administrator
Matching numbers is when the engine code matches the cars VIN. On most high performance engines starting in '62, the last portion of the cars VIN was stamped on the engine. (on front stamping pad)

For cars without this engine stamp such as a 283 car, the closest thing to numbers matching would then be the correct build dates on the block, heads, intake etc. These parts all have to pre-date the cars build date by a certain amount of time in order to be "correct."

Bob, I think that the practice of putting the serial number of the car on the block didn't start till 63... in Canada, not till at least 67.

I know that in 1959 + 60, on Canadian cars, the engine number is stamped right on the serial number tag in the door jam. My 60 Nomad wagon that I just bought, checked out perfectly with the 348 engine in it.

For our 1961-64 cars, the engine number can be obtained from GM Vintage Vehicle Services, and thereby confirm the authenticity of a car.
Need less to say, "numbers matching" when referring to 6 cyl car , or even a 283 2bbl, is of far FAR less importance than a 327, 348, or 409 car.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have a 409 that came out of a friends 62SS. The block is stamped J237900T0409QB, so at least the Janesville plant was stamping the 409's in 62. Don't know about the rest.

Ron

bobs409

Administrator
Yeh, I always heard it was 1962. Not sure if every plant did this stamping though. I think some hi-po's came through without it. These were stamped by humans weren't they? If so, some may have been missed.

Supposedly, 1968 saw the stamping of all engines.

XLR8TOR

With the owners manual you got a warranty book. It has a metal plate on it (Protect-o-plate) that they would use on your reciepts. Mine has the Engine code/date
Transmission code/date
Rear Axle code/date

All my numbers match the Protect-o-plate, and when I had the engine apart, all the castings (heads, intake, etc) had the correct numbers, and production dates before the engine production date. The Rochester 4GC still has the aluminum date coded tag on it :deal Only non original hard parts on the car are the water pump, and the windshield (date coded in '68).

CLICK

bobs409

Administrator
Wow! You got lucky XLR8TOR. Most times, one of the owners will toss that warranty booklet.

I have one for my 69 Chevelle.

What year did they start using these? I have a warranty booklet for my '63 but no signs of a protect-o-plate. This may have started in '65 ???