Max HP out of a 409 block.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I don’t recall Dan, it was too many years ago. Bearings always looked o.k. Next time in my motor, I am going to remove the girdle. It causes a bit of a windage problem above 5000 rpm. When racing, I only run 4 quarts of oil, then there is no problem.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
View attachment 68104

This was my 814 car block with the Only 55MM cam made by Carl Mcquillen with over 820Lift, yes I believe the RPM is what split the cylinder wall. the engine was partial hard blocked I also believe if I had kept this under 7000rpm the cylinder walls would have been ok this engine took the 61 at 3650LBs to 9.40@140,89 MPH, this engine is now repaired and almost full of hard block and ready as a backup

OMG MAN, that's AWESOME!!! 789hp@7500, cast block, absolutely mind blowing to me. What did you have to do with pistons, intake and carbs to get this? I bet the sound was amazing....

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don’t recall Dan, it was too many years ago. Bearings always looked o.k. Next time in my motor, I am going to remove the girdle. It causes a bit of a windage problem above 5000 rpm. When racing, I only run 4 quarts of oil, then there is no problem.
Did you start losing pressure with more oil? Just crazy you only run 4 quarts.