Maybe next week....

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Russ. the hot rod get together is Saturday Dec. 15 at Muldoon's Eatery ,1020 East 185 th. St. Cleveland , Ohio 44119, from 12 noon till 5 P.M.
If you like, send some photos of the car at various stages of completion, and the most current one. I can show them to Eddy and and get his
input on the car and build. He might be able to shed some light on any questions you may have. I'll even get him to autograph one for you
It is an open event. If your interested I'll get an e-mail address for the pics
Gordie

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I just got off the phone with Ed Anderson. He will be attending the get together Saturday in Cleveland. He will bring a scrap book that he put together from the racing years. He has all the answers to russ' questions. What a wealth of knowledge he is on the 60's racing days. I have his phone # for Russ.
Hmmmmmm. I wonder whats that worth:scratch:dunno:doh:brow:bow:cool:

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
F.Y.I In the spring of 63, in order to get to the Nationals, Ed sent all the engine parts to Don Nicholson in Atlanta, to put together an engine for the race.
Well there wasn't enough time, as Don was getting ready for the race as well. So, what does Don do? He gives Ed his fresh built Z-11 to take to Cleveland. They made the race. Ed said Don was the nicest guys he ever new. More stories to come.

RussC

Well Known Member
More of the story...The Jackshaw team tried to order a Z11...but were too late. So...Walter Jackshaw ordered a base V8 coupe...283..3 speed...heater and radio delete. Ed Anderson with Don Nicholson's help obtained the Z11 aluminum and all the components to build the engine. The car was assembled at the dealership. Yes...the motor was Don's backup

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
As Ed told me, Don Nicholson was a super nice , BUT!!!, There was one guy he didn't like, Arnie Beswick. At race in Detroit,1963, Beswick and Nicholson were to line up for the final round. Don was supposed to have lane choice, and picked the left lane.The car seem to perform better. Some how Beswick cut in front of Don and got the left lane.Don was mad but, being the nice guy he was,took the right. The light turned green , Beswick took off, Nicholson blows the rear end, loses the race. He comes back to the pits fuming, Ed says, what difference does it make , you broke!
Don says "Yea I know, but I still don't like that guy"

Last edited:

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think many people look at those Glory Days with selective memory and forget that many of those big name racers were not at the race track to have fun, hobby race, make friends, etc. It was their full-time job and if they didn’t win often they had a whole lot more to lose than just track winnings. They could lose sponsorships, factory backing, magazine advertisements, etc.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I think many people look at those Glory Days with selective memory and forget that many of those big name racers were not at the race track to have fun, hobby race, make friends, etc. It was their full-time job and if they didn’t win often they had a whole lot more to lose than just track winnings. They could lose sponsorships, factory backing, magazine advertisements, etc.
That's why Hayden gave away all his trophies!!!!! He couldn't buy groceries with trophies!!!!! He needed the money!!!!