McQuillen Intake.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Anyone have any ideas on air filters for the Carl McQuillen intake? Gonna be a tough fit by the looks of it due to the rear carb placement. I have an Edelbrock triangular filter that will clear everything on the rear carb but it comes with a cheap foam filter. The same air cleaner will not clear the stock hood on the front carb being to tall. What say you?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Find a sheet metal fabrication place and they'll take your money for a custom air box fit Ray. Then I also have a number for a custom air filter guy. I have a place nearby if you can't find one.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Time for a 2 1/2 i n. cowl hood?
How much room do you have from the carburetor air horn to the bottom of the hood?
looks like the rear carb has 4” at the rear of the air horn and the front has 3.250. Hood clearance is not the only problem with fitting base and height. The rear carb is right against the distributor so the base will be above the cap and wires. Diameter also is an issue due to fuel line plumbing as the regulator and fuel pressure gauge is above the air horn. I have a fiberglass hood to address clearance problems but am having issues with paint color match. I don’t use filters at the track so that’s not a problem but I want to run on the street. I prefer to run the stock hood at the track. I think the Impala surprises a few people at the track due to the stock appearance and no hood scoop. The classic sleeper. This is a problem that is specific to the McQuillen intake due to carb placement and height.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cake pans and pizza trays Ray, they come in all sizes. K&N filters can be made bigger or smaller in diameter if you find one the correct height, once you have a housing. The center that drops around the carbs isn't too difficult to modify or make.:D

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What I’m trying to do for the moment is find a pair of air cleaners that will fit under the stock hood. I have 4” clearance on the rear carb and 3.250” On the front. I can’t use a dropped base on the rear carb but I think I can on the front, but I have more clearance on the rear carb. F8ABCE88-5E51-4B8F-A3CD-2629D788C133.jpegD1B68BC5-BF33-432F-89ED-7D7E2BAC958E.jpeg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just for my own curiosity Ray, if you could, lay a straight edge front to back on the carburetor air cleaner flanges and measure the distance to the bottom of the intake where it meets the wall at the front of the lifter valley. Just would like to compare the heights to stock and Z11 intakes. Info would be appreciated.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just for my own curiosity Ray, if you could, lay a straight edge front to back on the carburetor air cleaner flanges and measure the distance to the bottom of the intake where it meets the wall at the front of the lifter valley. Just would like to compare the heights to stock and Z11 intakes. Info would be appreciated.
Describe “the wall” . I know what you want but don’t understand what or where the wall is?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I’ll have to look at that and see if there is a clean shot to measure, although I think we ought to find a generic place to measure. If the McQuillen intake is cast thicker at this point it would not be a good comparison. I’ll look and see if there is enough of the China wall exposed at the block to get a measurement. This would be an apple’s to apple’s comparison.
I think he means the front and rear "china wall" of the block where the intake mates to it.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry Ray, yes it would be the top of the China wall as Dave stated. I had a good picture of measuring this distance, but of course, I can't find it. Thank you.