McQuillen Intake.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ok, first, this is as close to being a two man job unless you grow a third arm and hand. That being said. Because of the angles involved between the two carbs I measured from the front carb air horn where your air filter base or air filter gasket would make contact. I laid a straight edge across the air horn on the passenger side so it is on the same plane as the carb as it sits on the intake . The straight edge spanning past the end of the intake. I measured to the China wall From the bottom edge of the straight edge. The distance from the air horn to the China wall is 9.125”. Is that clear to you.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ok, first, this is as close to being a two man job unless you grow a third arm and hand. That being said. Because of the angles involved between the two carbs I measured from the front carb air horn where your air filter base or air filter gasket would make contact. I laid a straight edge across the air horn on the passenger side so it is on the same plane as the carb as it sits on the intake . The straight edge spanning past the end of the intake. I measured to the China wall From the bottom edge of the straight edge. The distance from the air horn to the China wall is 9.125”. Is that clear to you.
Thank you Ray! That sounds like exactly what is was looking for. Now to compare that to the other measurements I have. I'll post the comparisons later when I get home and out to the garage.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thank you Ray! That sounds like exactly what is was looking for. Now to compare that to the other measurements I have. I'll post the comparisons later when I get home and out to the garage.
I forgot to add, my AFB style carbs have a 1/2” phenolic spacer plus a gasket on either side of the spacer or two gaskets total. So to get the correct measurements you would have to subtract the appropriate items. By the way, gaskets are a standard Edelbrock piece . If you need the part number to gauge thickness I will see if I still have the packaging .

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Ray. I have a couple of the 3/8 thick Edekbrock carb gaskets I use for comparison. I'll have to adjust measurements for the spacers.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks Ray. I have a couple of the 3/8 thick Edekbrock carb gaskets I use for comparison. I'll have to adjust measurements for the spacers.
The gaskets on either side of the spacer are assuredly not 3/8”. They would be glad to be 1/8” . I repeat, the gaskets are not 3/8”. I looked online, I’m pretty sure the gaskets are .032” each.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
IMG_20191118_201227.jpgSo an Edelbrock intake with Edelbrock carbs with the Edelbrock 3/8" heat insulator gaskets, straight edge across the air cleaner mounting flange, measures 7 5/8" to the front China wall, 9" to the rear China wall. Stock intake with stock carbs measures 7 1/4" dry and 9" rear. I can't find where I wrote down the Z11 measurements, but according to my jig, the front would be approx. 1 1/2" taller than the Edelbrocks at the front, 9 1/8" and I believe the rear was over 11". Quite the angle on the Z11. So the Mcquillen intake would be about 1/2 " shorter than a Z11. But the carbs are farther apart on the McQuillen intake. Ok, I'm done rambling. Oh wait, another fyi, Edelbrock carbs are about 1/2" shorter than stock AFBs.