McQuillen Intake

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The heading says McQuillen. Looks like a good way to share info as far as I'm concerned. The measurements I posted were nowhere to be found.

Thanks Barry. Nice setup. My next stop is Beal Sheet Metal to get an air pan made. Then either a stock or custom filter.

No problem on the thread, I get off topic from time to time.:crazy or all the time.

Last edited:

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'm somewhat suprised that anyone would run a filter of any kind on the air inlet to the engine at the drag strip, as any restriction to the intake usually costs horsepower. I do however believe in keeping a good quality filter in use in most all other applications.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave, Ronnie was always against running air filters on our cars. I’ve always worried about the car doing the burnout in front of me slinging a rock down the scoop. We bracket raced every weekend and put 250 to 350 runs a year on some of our motors and when we freshened them up they always looked good. I never worry about following or being pitted next to someone with fender well headers. Hell, that Altered might have run in the 8s if I’d have removed the filter. Doesn’t matter now it’s gone and it’s on to some “ thing” New! :D

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Carl explained to me that, since his intake is parallel to the engine, the angled mounting flange is for carbureted applications to keep the carbs level and the flat mounting is for fuel injection, no floats bowls to keep level.
Thanks.

Now, about air filters. I have always run them because most of the places I run have pretty dirty return roads and sometimes pits. I didn't see any future in inhaling all of that stuff. I usually have a lot of under-hood cleanup to do when I get back from a race. So maybe that is a problem, but I try to use a little common sense and keep the elements as large as possible. But I am open to suggestions too.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Since all I do[or did] was bracket racing,I didn't care about the maybe .001-.002 loss [if that] between running a good air filter and no filter.I did care about my engine's life,but that's just me.I let a buddy of mine use my car one week end while I was doing something else and he took off the filter and left it off one week.A Dirt dobber decided that the rear vent tube on my Holley would be a nice place to make it's deposit.This caused a flooding issue that was FUN :mad4to find.Never again!!!!:no

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave, wondering if you have your intake installed on your engine yet? Or maybe James could check? Trying to fine tune my intake mock up. Hoping to get a measurement between the rear carb and the distributor cap. Best place I can figure on getting an accurate measurement. Any help would be much appreciated!IMG_20200502_143732.jpgIMG_20200502_131620.jpg

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I'm somewhat suprised that anyone would run a filter of any kind on the air inlet to the engine at the drag strip, as any restriction to the intake usually costs horsepower. I do however believe in keeping a good quality filter in use in most all other applications.

I always have a chuckle when I go to the strip to watch the races down my way, Everyone is super fastidious about engine cleanliness and tolerances etc etc (and so they should be) so they get their cars ready, some of the pit areas are dirt or gravel, areas around the side of the track are not grassed but dirt, the guys get ready to race and the exhaust is blowing dirt and crap into the air, a small wind blows and dirt and crap gets blown into the air, guys give the engine a rev, or doing 7500rpm down the track all the while sucking in whatever is floating around in the air.
I suspect that as long as the particle size is not too big the dust just gets burnt and blown out the pipes any way, but just one of my silly observations.