McQuillen Intake

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If a track has dusty crappy pit areas and roads, I don’t go back. I don’t run an air filter and don’t know if I could even get one tall enough under the hood. At tear down there are some scratches in the cylinders here and there but it doesn’t concern me.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So to add to the air cleaner discussion here are some runs in the Pontiac powered Camaro last night. First run with a 14x4" air cleaner next two no cleaner. This car has only had about 10 runs and new gremlins pop up every time.

My 1978 TA with the first aluminum head roller motor in it one night test and tune we pulled the smaller 13x2.75" air cleaner out after several good runs and it leaned popped doing a dry hop to the line! Quite impressive at night with a Shaker scoop pointed back at you! It picked up 2 tenths after we rejetted.

Attachments

• DSC_0285.JPG
    DSC_0285.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 28

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I'm somewhat suprised that anyone would run a filter of any kind on the air inlet to the engine at the drag strip, as any restriction to the intake usually costs horsepower. I do however believe in keeping a good quality filter in use in most all other applications.

My thoughts are: If racing is your job, a sponsor is paying the bills to build your engines, and you're tearing them down each day, go ahead and run sans air cleaner. If you're racing as a hobby and you're the one paying the bills to build your engine, run an air cleaner. You're losing more time from shifting than from the air cleaner.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Hard to say on filter flow. A good Wix 14x4- so taller than the standard 14x3 most single 4s run. And just an 850 4150 style carb feeding it. Now if you want to rate the carb at the higher test pressures like the HP series it would go as a 1000. Although they had a "Street 950" with the same contoured body and same booster/venturi size throttle blade size as the 1000! So a little playing on numbers going on. The old "original 950s were 750 venturi size and 850 throttle blade size.

I can tell you a few years ago I flowed a ported Pontiac E head, Torker II intake Holley 850 Trans Am Shaker air cleaner base with a plain paper filter and a K&N and the paper filter was only down 10 cfm on about a 300 cfm set up. And that filter is smaller than the one last night.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just went back and re-watched Engine Masters where they tested 19 air filters. Now, I know the et clock doesn't lie, but the results were at least interesting. Especially the salad bowl.

hammer-time

Getting tired of waiting on an Edelbrock dual quad intake. How quick can I get the McQuillen and does anyone make a progressive throttle linkage for 4150 Holleys?

Last edited: