Measurements for 63 283 emblem on fender?

bobs409

Administrator
I'm looking at an illustration for the 283 fender emblem location in the assembly manual but they don't give enough info to figure it out where to drill the holes! :facepalm They have 2 imaginary lines down the fender that I guess only they know where they truly are. No measurements from the edges which would be helpful.

Can anyone give me the measurements for the 283 fender emblem holes? It's a 63 Impala so it's to the rear of wheel by door, not in front. (Biscayne/Belair style had it there)

Or I would settle for an explanation of how to decipher these drawings. :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, do you have your old fender's to get measurement's?????Are you putting just the v emblem on????The v desidnated 283 engine.

bobs409

Administrator
Scrapped the old fenders but it was a 6 so not sure if the same holes were used. I am putting the V emblems on as shown above.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would say the 327 emblem flag's would be the same hole location for the 283 v emblem.If any one has a loose fender they could probably give you some measurement's.I don't have loose one.Here is a 6 emblem$T2eC16JHJG!E9nm3pkoZBQ(nW1Mg7Q~~60_12.JPG backside picture , if you could locate old fender and compare hole's to v emblem

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I measured early today before work......I didn't want to give any bad info so I didn't give that measurement.I'll use a flat edge off the top of the fender surfaces and butt the tape measure off of it. I think using the body line leaves room for error.????

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I don"t think he has since buying reproduce fenders. I thought putting tape across factory molding holes horizontally and draw a line in middle of hole horizontally and take a hard ruler and measure from that line to the flag holes.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
That was my line of thinking also........scary.........but BRILLIANT.......:laugh2:laugh2 I thought Bob mentioned in his other thread he bought some rust free used fenders

bobs409

Administrator
I have repro fenders so no holes. I was able to figure out the other holes needed for the side molding and the upper slat emblems but the fender V emblem I have nothing to go on.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
Those are datum lines or reference lines if you prefer and are measured from the centerline of the body for lateral holes like on the firewall (see Section 1), and from an imaginary 0 horizontal reference line (CL) measured down from a point below the lowest point on the body (3.85" on the 62, I don't have a 63 assembly manual) and a fore and aft 0 reference line located a specific distance rearward from a point on the top of the radiator support filler (Sheet 14 Sect 11-13 in 62 AIM).Positive numbers are above the horizontal line and aft of the vertical line. Negative numbers are forward of the vertical 0 line and positive aft.
It takes a few steps to get to the hole you want to locate but it works.....kinda like tramming a frame.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Bob,
Those are datum lines or reference lines if you prefer and are measured from the centerline of the body for lateral holes like on the firewall (see Section 1), and from an imaginary 0 horizontal reference line (CL) measured down from a point below the lowest point on the body (3.85" on the 62, I don't have a 63 assembly manual) and a fore and aft 0 reference line located a specific distance rearward from a point on the top of the radiator support filler (Sheet 14 Sect 11-13 in 62 AIM).Positive numbers are above the horizontal line and aft of the vertical line. Negative numbers are forward of the vertical 0 line and positive aft.
It takes a few steps to get to the hole you want to locate but it works.....kinda like tramming a frame.

Maybe.......just maybe ........I'll get to be that smart next time around.......then again I could end up as that blind squirrel...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Or 61/16 and 7 3/16 from edge of fender and get that vertical measurement and you are in the ball park. LOL