Mechanical Fuel Pump 4799 Substitute

ozzie7

Well Known Member
I've searched the forum but haven't found what I was hoping to find so far.

I have this FJ engine that, going by the info I've been able to find, should use a 4799 fuel pump.

I want to stick with a mechanical fuel pump that looks original but it seems the 4799 cost would include my right arm.... which I'd like to keep for now.

I think the key to the substitute would be getting the pressure and flow rate correct.
I see 5.0 to 6.5 pressure numbers and 50 GPH on the more modern crimped body style substitutes.
I wonder what the 4799 specs are to help me choose if I have to go modern.

Since this issue is probably something some of you have already addressed, I'd like to know what pumps you are using to substitute in place of the 4799.

I have been advised by one of our prominent members that the AC #40018 pump will work just fine because it has the correct clock positioning.... But I like the looks of the original.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Thanks both of you for the info.... the rockauto pump is also marked 4657.
I hope the inlet and outlet sizes are correct for the fuel lines I need for the 3012 carb .
I haven't been able to find any specifications on the 4799.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The fuel pump spec for the FJ and FH is 9.25 to 10.75 psi per the AMA Specs. Seems like too much to me.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Thanks Cecil.... that is peculiar since 61's didn't have a return line to the fuel tank.

You wouldn't happen to have TSB #853 December 20 1962 would you? I didn't see it in the TSB forum .... something about 1962 409 idling problems with the fix being a change to the 4799 pump.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have a 4799 pump you need to get rid of would you?