Mecum Kissimmee

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The real car would have black inserts from the factory.....not red!!!
Huh?
Seriously I looked closely at the photos provided by Mecum and say to you guys it ain’t. The gavel price also convinced me
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
A little slow here Robert. So, photos say it's not right and the gavel no sell confirmed that? Had a couple of blows to the head. Thanks. Damn pretty color.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
“black inserts from the factory”

Red side inserts would be correct if the white Impala with red interior was built Feb 1961 or later.

Tommy Nolen could confirm.

Richard

Richard is correct. The early cars had black inserts but later the side insert matched the interior unless it was a two tone in which case the insert would have matched the top

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I looked at the ad, I think you could safely say that isn't a factory built SS. Not to pick the car apart, it';s a nice car but there are just too many things incorrect like no power brakes, grab bar incorrectly mouinted, low horse pulleys (I'd bet it isn't a 350 horse, probably a 280) and the one thing that says a lot, Dana Mecum would never sell a real one on Wednesday. Considering it's an Impala, I'd say somebody paid too much or at least they don't have any wiggle room

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Did anyone catch the the red 63 convertible 409/425 hp with 7,900 original miles?What a stunning car.They said the top had not been down in 25 years.
With the buyers premium it went for 170,500.DB2F0E11-A594-4F1E-BD50-763B99E56DE3.jpeg5FADD54C-0113-4BE9-B37F-B819389E2FD3.jpeg

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Did anyone catch the the red 63 convertible 409/425 hp with 7,900 original miles?What a stunning car.They said the top had not been down in 25 years.
With the buyers premium it went for 170,500.
View attachment 58288View attachment 58289
With the buyers premium it went for 170,500.View attachment 58288View attachment 58289
what year 63 or 64 had the gold 425hp plate on the front of the air cleaner ?

Dave

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The 61SS 409 was a no sale at 90k. This is the former Don Fezel car, I seem to remember it going a little over 100k last year. I do not understand why people keep just putting the car out there hoping for a sucker. I have looked at this car closely and it is without doubt a factory built SS but I do question the motor. I have my doubts about it being a 61 409 motor. If this is a legit 61 623 block motor then that car should go 130k to 150k. If it isn't a 61 motor then the car probably brought about what it's worth. Why doesn't the owner document the car and include a statement guaranteeing that the car is correct. the other way of looking at this is maybe, just maybe the new owner has documented the car and found out what it is.......

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ok, while on the subject of 61 409 engines I have a question for the group, including Phil:confused.
Years ago I remember reading somewhere something about the block casting piston skirt on the 61 623 was design changed to the new block. Does anyone have additional information or better yet photos with information.
Thanks
Robert
The winner gets his or her choice of beer in the garage refrigerator when they visit this summer as this question is like my vertical 61 trim tag question