Meltdown Drags Byron IL

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Anyone planning on attending the Meltdown Drags next weekend at Byron, Illinois?

I won't be there but James Schrader is planning on taking two cars to the event, his 1967 Charger and my 1962 BA409 car. Seems we've missed all the fun events so far this year, neither vehicle has been readied in time to attend any other event. James also plans on taking both cars to an event near Joplin, MO later in August.

I am traveling both weekends and can't make either, but hopefully James will get us moving forward and have some fun to boot :).

The BA409 car is undergoing some "lightening up" with the removal of seats, front bumper, and some strengthening and patchwork to the pans under the driver's side. Will be running skinnys on new front wheels. Engine will get a new set of carbs, some ignition attention and a proper tune. Still stuck with the same rear end setup, things will change over the winter months. For now, we're just trying to learn more about the setup and make improvements from there.

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ron:

The leaded rear end didn't last long, a few launches at Great Bend did it in. Still at odds (and lack of time) to fully resolve the issue, so we patched it back up and hope for the best :).

This Winter she gets a more serious look at a longer term rear end, most likely a 9 incher.

Cheers!
TomK

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The Meltdown is really great. Get to see lots of old race cars that only come out once a year. Rules for equipment are really tough.