Meltdown Drags July 20th - 22nd

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Dave: Just got home from the Meltdown Drags. It was a fun time. Not sure if I am heading west any more this year. I might go to Woodburn for their Oldies weekend in August but haven't decided yet. Need to recuperate from my Meltdown trip first. Nothing else going on that I an aware of.

Joel

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Great job, Joel. I wish I was a road warrior like you are sometimes. I'd love to get to Woodburn, but even going up to Samoa for their nostalgia weekend is kind of a stretch. Might have to settle for Eagle Field although maybe the Hot Rod Reunion at Famoso (Bakersfield) would be an option in October.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
76F5462F-3F09-49D9-B5EE-8CB3B41A0C9F.jpegThis was my view with the head on the car. Looks cracked right? Nope. Just an illusion. Pressure tested it to 30 psi and nothing.ECC0AF87-CFA4-4F6E-AA92-D08605FD02BB.jpeg Threads for that bolt hole were pretty loose and I think that’s why the water was coming up. Couldn’t find anything else. So some hylomar and silicone and now it’s sealed up. Got a new coil and hope that’s what was causing the car to drop power. Cam timing is right and it leaked down at 5% cold. Waiting for new rockers now. Got a set of comp pro magnum but the nuts hit the body of the rocker on the exhaust. Trying scorpions next.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Dave: I don't have any info on the reunion at Famoso in October. Could you send me the info. or the link. Thanks.

Joel
Joel, the word is that it is a great "event" but you don't run much and you wait a lot. Not sure if I want to do that or not, I really liked the way things worked up at Samoa. But, no 409 shootout this year and smoke everywhere, so it may be Eagle and/or Kingdon??

http://www.nhramuseum.org/apcm/templates/general.asp?articleid=676&zoneid=41&navsource=reunions

http://www.kingdondrags.com/

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Studs would be stronger and less likely to leak in worn/loose threads.
You are right. I've had the heads on and off so many times, I think the threads are starting to have enough. I will switch to studs on the next tear down which should be next month the way things have been going. Next time you go to the Grove let me know. I have a paper weight with your name on it.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Don't think I will be going anywhere for awhile. I was at Woodburn last weekend & car ran really good! Had an 11.56 during T&T & Saturday 1st time trial ran an 11.54. 2nd time trial & got to the lights & my engine blew. Not sure what happened. Big hole in oil pan next to the fuel pump plate & a piece of twisted rod & cap retrieved from the strip. Oil & water everywhere. Looks as if one of the rod bolts came out & all hell broke loose. Don't know the extent of damage yet but think it is bad. With the oil & water mix I think the block might be toast. Sure hope not. Car is home now & at the shop & hopefully find out what went wrong. Looks as if my racing days might be over. If damage is really bad I most likely won't be able to rebuild. This is the second engine that went on me in the past 8 years. The first was an almost stock 409 & the fault was mine( screwing around with rocker arms, etc.). This one don't know what happened , it was a race built engine but I guess shit happens!! Will let you guys know if we find out what went wrong.

Joel

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Joel:

Sorry for the set back, let's hope that you can salvage some of the more important components that are expensive to replace :).

TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sorry to hear that, Joel. I always look forward to seeing you at the track, and I can guess how discouraged you are right now. Keep us informed, I'm still hoping we can all get together in the future.