Metal pieces under door trim

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Are the metal pieces that are under the interior front door trim that we need to save when having new door panels made the same on 62 and 64 Impalas?

A few days ago a fella pulled in the driveway asking about my 62 Impala parts car sitting beside my shop and was looking for parts. He said he had just came from a junkyard that had a couple buried deep back in the back abandoned section and one might be a SS. I sold him a front spindle assembly, seems he's up here working for the oil industry from Fla and is really into old Impalas.

It was supposed to thunderstorm today so I got up early and spent the day chasing down the Impalas he told me about He said to take a machete due to them being buried in multi-flor rose bushes, vines and trees. Got all the way out there and asked the lady in the office where she thought they might be located, she pointed "that away, way back over and around the hill back in those thorns and trees I think" After a few hours of scouring and jumping around on roof tops (oops should not have said that) but the cars and trucks I used as stepping stones were beyond salvage and beating down acres of those thorn bushes and small trees I located a 62 two door Impala. Totally rotted out and missing about everything but did have good front and rear glass. Might have to go back and get those next trip. Did still have most interior chrome trim on the inside but guessing it'll be guarded by 87 snakes it might not be worth salvaging it since I have a couple sets to pick from in the shop.

I mainly went looking for the metal strips on the doors and hopefully a 4spd steering column. Kept looking and located a 64 two door which ended up being a SS and was able to get the metal pieces off the door panels, actually they nearly fell off with the panels totally rotted. Metal is still pretty nice, a quick sandblast and paint should have them in good shape. Someone long ago grabbed the pedal assembly, steering column and console but it also still had good front and rear glass. The seats were tossed inside and weren't too bad and could be good donors for the springs and framework. I did leave a note with the lady saying if they got time and ever got back to the car (as far back in the jungle as possible from the entrance totally buried in trees and those nasty rose bushes) and lifted it up I'd take the rear end if it had a P carrier unit. She seemed happy when I offered $100.00 for it and she'd let me know when they got to check it out.

Wasn't a wasted trip, I didn't get snake bit, overrun by ticks and didn't get hurt, the rain they forecast held off till I got home so it was a fun day chasing down parts with a couple more parts I can use (hopefully).

Dennis

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dennis. ..61 & 62 upper curves are the same and 63 & 64 are the same on the doors. 61 Impala and 62 BA bubbletop rear are the same. 62 63 64 Impala 2 door hardtop rears are the same.

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info Phil, guess at least I picked up some trading stock. Will clean them up and put on a shelf. Dennis

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
:laugh:laughquuote="Topstrap, post: 235876, member: 4528"]Thanks for the info Phil, guess at least I picked up some trading stock. Will clean them up and put on a shelf. Dennis[/quote]
Bring em to Great Bend Dennis.................we're going to have a swap meet area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hopefully there will be sellers willing to ship parts for those of us that are having to fly in. I don't think a posi center section qualifies as "carry on". :laugh
Edit: Right after posting this I opened the reply to the posi for sale thread and saw the request to bring it. Pure coincidence I promise!