Metal project: 2 simple angle grinder accessories

bobs409

Administrator
Today I have 2 easy to make accessories you can make for pennies to get more use out of your angle grinder.

First up is a screw on adapter to fit a small drill chuck. Made from a threaded rod coupler nut that I cut in half, it has 5/8-11 threads that fit the grinder (most grinders have that thread size) and a fine thread bolt welded into the other end that fits my particular drill chuck. (one from an old dead H.F. drill I had lying around) ;)

Second is another adapter made from the other half of that coupler nut (lol) that has a 1/4 inch center hole with set screw. I made this for these Twist Lock style sanding pads but this adapter will fit any tool with a 1/4 inch shank. (drum sanders also work great) Shown is a 3 inch sanding wheel but these come in various sizes from 1 inch to about 4 or 5 inches. With the speed of the grinder, these work nice! Very aggressive with the 40 grit shown or switch to a finer grit when needed.

Another nice thing to have around is the Harbor Freight router speed controller nearby for those jobs where you would like to cut down on the speed. (unless your grinder already has variable speed) I found this works great with a pipe sander/grinder I recently made. It made the tool much more manageable and easier to handle.

Tip: I hear a house hold light dimmer switch can also be used as a speed controller.

g1.jpgg2.jpgg3.jpgg4.jpgg5.jpgg6.jpg
g7.jpg

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
For the drill maybe but the sanding pad works awesome full speed. I used a small drum sander too and it worked great. It's not much different than running a flap wheel on a grinder which is full speed.

These twist loc type sanding pads are often used in air tools like mini grinders and high speed drills. It's how I got this idea. I then realized, I rarely turn my air compressor on! :D (not a big fan of air tools much these days)

I forgot to mention too that they sell mini flap wheels! I want to try one sometime, I bet they work great at flattening welds quickly.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel Bob!!! :D I just have air tools for those job's and have actually two of each so i did not have to change the sander adaptor or to a carbide bit for grinding . Can you believe it one is a harbor freight ? The extra one came in handy when i was still wrenching, But not so much needed now. Lol

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
For the drill maybe but the sanding pad works awesome full speed. I used a small drum sander too and it worked great. It's not much different than running a flap wheel on a grinder which is full speed.

These twist loc type sanding pads are often used in air tools like mini grinders and high speed drills. It's how I got this idea. I then realized, I rarely turn my air compressor on! :D (not a big fan of air tools much these days)

I forgot to mention too that they sell mini flap wheels! I want to try one sometime, I bet they work great at flattening welds quickly.
Make sure that the attachments are rated for the RPM of that grinder, when that sh$t comes apart it will hurt you bad!!!

bobs409

Administrator
I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel Bob!!! :D I just have air tools for those job's and have actually two of each so i did not have to change the sander adaptor or to a carbide bit for grinding . Can you believe it one is a harbor freight ? The extra one came in handy when i was still wrenching, But not so much needed now. Lol

Maybe the wheel needs to be reinvented! All I have to do is plug this in and it's ready to use instead of opening my other garage, closing all the air drains, waiting for the tank to fill up, etc, etc, etc. :waiting2: I use a lot less electricity too, just what I need and nothing more. I don't end up with 60 gallons of air I have no use for. :p

bobs409

Administrator
Make sure that the attachments are rated for the RPM of that grinder, when that sh$t comes apart it will hurt you bad!!!

These are used on high speed air tools so no difference. Just adds another option and in many cases, more convenience.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Maybe the wheel needs to be reinvented! All I have to do is plug this in and it's ready to use instead of opening my other garage, closing all the air drains, waiting for the tank to fill up, etc, etc, etc. :waiting2: I use a lot less electricity too, just what I need and nothing more. I don't end up with 60 gallons of air I have no use for. :p
Oh, i didn't know your air was so unhandy!!!!:D Mine is readily available.

Last edited: