Metal Project: 3d Printer cabinet

bobs409

Administrator
It's finally *almost* finished!!! This is my totally gone overboard 3d printer cabinet. :D I just moved it into my "junk room" in the house a little while ago.

Made mostly of steel square tube and angle iron, it ended up with an "arcade game" look to it so I did some fun vinyl graphics for the base. It features LED strip lighting in the upper ceiling and a small strip of LED's down in the base cabinet that lights up at the same time so finding what you need will be easy. The top has 4 glass panels, 3 of which have etched designs in for that extra bling. (left and right glass not installed yet to help in moving it)

The "floating" shelf that the printer sits on is made of 1 inch foam with an aluminum plate on top. I opted to do this for sound control. There should be no vibrations from the machine running as it does not contact the cabinet.

The base cabinet area will provide tons of room to store filament and other goodies and a mid pull out shelf is planned. The 3d printer has helped to build it's own cabinet with custom electrical outlet brackets for the back as well as a wire grommet and the two door handles.

A cabinet is a good idea for a 3d printer to keep the warmth in (especially if printing ABS) but also to cut down on any noises. It will also be a great way to keep it from getting dusty! My favorite part! lol

Edit: forgot a few stats so I'll add them here: The side panels are made from 22 gauge sheet steel that I formed in the brake. The front lower door is 16 gauge with an angle iron frame around it. Both doors stay shut with magnets. I made the 4 hinges from spacers and round stock. The doors can simply lift off if needed. Color is Rustoleum Hammered Gray on the outside and Gloss gray inside lower cabinet.

Reminds me of one of those "claw" machines or maybe a phone booth. :p :D

DSCN4015.jpgDSCN4016.jpgDSCN4017.jpgDSCN4018.jpgDSCN4019.jpgDSCN4020.jpgDSCN4021.jpgDSCN4023.jpgDSCN4024.jpg

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
No wheels because I'm cheap. :p Not planning on moving it much so shouldn't be a problem. (I have a hand truck that I used to get it into the house) The etched glass starts with designs I found online. I then used my Cricut cutting machine to cut them out in vinyl so they act like a stencil. Put them on the glass and mask off all areas not to be etched. Then I use my sand blaster and some worn out sand to blast the design in. Doesn't take much.

Remove all the masking and admire you're work. :cool:

Junky

Well Known Member
No wheels because I'm cheap. :p Not planning on moving it much so shouldn't be a problem. (I have a hand truck that I used to get it into the house) The etched glass starts with designs I found online. I then used my Cricut cutting machine to cut them out in vinyl so they act like a stencil. Put them on the glass and mask off all areas not to be etched. Then I use my sand blaster and some worn out sand to blast the design in. Doesn't take much.

Remove all the masking and admire you're work. :cool:

Wow!!!! You really have to be cheap to use worn out sand!!! :poke I'll bet that you even use both sides of the toilet paper!!!!:juggle