Metal project: Angle grinder edge guide

bobs409

Administrator
Today's project is an angle grinder straight edge guide that starts off as a modified store bought angle grinder guard. (Harbor Freight angle grinder safety guard #61680)

I've had that guard for a few years and never used it because it tended to wander away from the straight edge during cutting. To solve that problem, I modified it as shown. I also improved the cutter depth adjustment so it's much easier to use for gradual depth cuts in thick material.

Now you just clamp the 3/4 angle iron guide to the material and the "new and improved" guard rides along making a perfect cut every time. (thick material can be gradually cut in small increments safely) Say good-bye to that dreded wander! ;)

Black angle grinder shown is a Harbor Freight 4.3 amp angle grinder #60625 or #69645.

g1.jpgg2.jpgg3.jpgg4.jpgg5.jpgg6.jpgg7.jpgg8.jpgg9.jpgg10.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Nice, how squaire are the cuts, or should I ask how long did it take? I'm always looking for a way to cut that straight line without a shear.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm thinking just cut completely through with one cut ,that would keep the guide flat on material and it would stay square and still would be cutting straight. Just my 2 cents .

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Nice, how squaire are the cuts, or should I ask how long did it take? I'm always looking for a way to cut that straight line without a shear.

The cuts are as straight as the piece of angle you use for the guide. As long as you clamp that down in the right spot, your cut will be correct.

Time to cut is based on how thick the material is. For thick stuff, it's best to make lighter cuts by gradually lowering the blade with each pass.

This is really nice for material that is too thick for a shear and just jobs that are not big enough to pull out the plasma cutter! :D

wristpin

Well Known Member
Great cutter idea. For really long cuts like 4'-8' sheets i took a old Black and Decker wood circular saw and replaced the metal disc with a 6" cuttoff wheel disc (same material as 4" side cutter disc).
Making 2 or 3 cuts uses less disc material, makes less noise and is faster than trying to make one cut. If material is thin, one cut works fine. You'll know if its cutting to much because the disc material is coming off like black dust.