Metal project: Jeep Frame build

bobs409

Administrator
Starting to look like something now! :cool:

I chickened out trusting my sharpie marks from last time so I put all the pieces back under the Jeep and when all was good, I put a few tacks to lock it all in place. Then slide that unit back out and started the full welds. Not done yet but should easily be wrapped up tomorrow.

:weld

This Jeep will live on! :plow

DSCN4187.jpgDSCN4188.jpgDSCN4189.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Gotta keep up with Jim so since he posted today, here's my offerings. :D

All smoothed and primed inside and out! A little "icing" filler in some areas to fill any grinder marks and blend a weld here and there. I used Rustoleum red oxide primer. Will be top coating with their semi gloss black.

Coating the inside of the rails turned out to be a circus act. :juggle I did those yesterday by capping an end off with good old duct tape and dumping a quart of primer in the other side. Then cap that side with more tape and then flip and roll this thing all around to coat all surfaces. Not as easy as you might think since it's quite heavy! I then dumped the paint out one end back into the can and when it stopped dripping, I repeated for the other one.

These will only have one 3/4" drain hole each all the way at the back, lowest point. The large holes in the rear flat are access holes if needed. Those get covered up with D-ring plates. I don't see any rust in their foreseeable future. :good

Next up is the part I've been least looking forward to. Getting under the Jeep and wire wheeling/undercoating and basically getting it ready for the new frame "marriage". :congrats

DSCN4197.jpgDSCN4199.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
All back together and back in the front yard again. I took it for a ride and it feels nice and solid!

Just a few little jobs like an oil, lube & filter and put the catalytic converter back on :teehee before I take it for inspection. It should pass, I can't find any valid reason for it not too. (he said hopefully) :p

bobs409

Administrator
I'm PISSED! They wouldn't pass my Jeep because the tires stick out too far! What BS@!

Everything else checked out ok so that's good anyway. I don't know why they didn't just tell me that in the first place? They spent 45 minutes and got nothing because they don't charge for a fail.

They asked if I had another set of wheels/tires to throw on but I don't. I'm thinking of maybe buying or making wider fender flares. Maybe just to pass the damn thing and then remove? I was toying with building tube fenders in the past but I don't want to do that while being RUSHED.

Any suggestions?? I'm in heavy search mode now to see what's available to buy.

bobs409

Administrator
I did have a laugh though. The guy comes out soon after bringing it in and asked me if I removed the CAT. I said no, it's on there! Thinking to my self, REALLY?? You can't find the convertor? :scratch

It's at the front next to the transmission but Jeeps have a big skid plate type transmission mount so it's a little hidden but come on... Surely mine can't be the first Jeep Wrangler they've seen?

wristpin

Well Known Member
I'm PISSED! They wouldn't pass my Jeep because the tires stick out too far! What BS@!

Everything else checked out ok so that's good anyway. I don't know why they didn't just tell me that in the first place? They spent 45 minutes and got nothing because they don't charge for a fail.

They asked if I had another set of wheels/tires to throw on but I don't. I'm thinking of maybe buying or making wider fender flares. Maybe just to pass the damn thing and then remove? I was toying with building tube fenders in the past but I don't want to do that while being RUSHED.

Any suggestions?? I'm in heavy search mode now to see what's available to buy.
Plastic cheap fender flares RTV glued on then removed and stored easily until next state inspection

bobs409

Administrator
Plastic cheap fender flares RTV glued on then removed and stored easily until next state inspection

That was one of my first thoughts but after searching, that's a tricky area too it seems. Supposedly, they should not exceed 3 inches. Is that 3 inches over stock? I don't know. The ones on there are stock and already about 3 inches.

Going crazy!!! Everything that I think of has a down side! It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I haven't had a beer in 23 years but I could SURE use one now!!! :bang:bang:bang

bobs409

Administrator
I'm leaning to getting a set of junkyard wheels and tires so I can get it to pass where I took it today. Nothing I come up with will be cheap, to do this would probably $200 at least. (wish I knew someone I could borrow or "rent" a set from but all my friends are "online" type. I don't think anybody likes me anymore.) :cryblow

Wider fender flares are another option and generally run over $200-500!!! I'd like to avoid this because I probably won't like them and would rip them back off when I got home! (and I'm not sure exactly where the law stands on this)

Find another place is option 3... yeah would be great but I'm so out of the loop on garages and who's who since I've been doing my own work for so long and with all my antique tags on the other cars, I don't get inspections anymore! Just this damn Jeep!

4) I love my old Chevy's even more than I did before today.