Metal project: Jeep rock sliders

bobs409

Administrator
A little something I've been secretly working on. :teehee

These are called rock sliders but for my Jeep, they'll be more step bars than anything. They will add some side impact protection too. The only dirt this Jeep see's is what it's sitting on in my driveway. :laugh4 But... if any big rocks get in my way in the future, I'll be ready for them! :guns

I designed mine to have the 45 degree front and the 90 degree turn in at the rear. I've never seen any like this, most are 90's at both ends but I gotta be me. :D

Made from 2 inch schedule 40 pipe with weld on elbow fittings. I tried bending some of this stuff years ago and it only kinked so the pre-made elbows we're the best way to go. I fabricated the mounting brackets from 3/16 steel and designed them to bolt in with 2 of the body mounts. I was standing on this and it did not move!

I am considering adding a small step plate to the top, maybe about 12 inches but still in design stage there. I had to stop, ran out of filler wire. (guess I've been welding too much!)

DSCN3160.jpgDSCN3161.jpgDSCN3162.jpgDSCN3163.jpgDSCN3164.jpgDSCN3167.jpgDSCN3168.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You should tie in the front to your exhaust pipe, and have a rear exit port and have dual straights. You would have Rock sliders and dual exhaust and you could step on them to warm your toes on those snow days.:D

bobs409

Administrator
I finally got these done! (well, one needs painting yet) :teehee

I wanted to get some good shots of one installed as I'm going to be listing a "weld it yourself" kit for a set of these shown in next post.

I like the look! I went with semi gloss black and applied some tread tape stuff. (only shown in last pic) Now I got to spiffy up the rest of the Jeep to match! :D

DSCN3364.jpgDSCN3370.jpgDSCN3372.jpgDSCN3378.jpg