Metal project: Ring/pipe roller

bobs409

Administrator
I've been working my tail off on this latest project and it's finally time to unveil it! What we have here is a multi purpose ring, tube and pipe roller.

Designed from other rollers I've seen on the net with a few of my own touches added. You can roll flat material on the inside up to 6 inches in width! I will be making slip collars that can go on these rollers for working with square and round tube/solids. Pipe and tube dies can also be added as I need/make them and can be made up to 4 inches in diameter! It features a 4 ton jack for downward pressure, needle bearings at both ends of the shafts and I drilled and added zerk grease fittings for maintenance purposes. I also milled a square end on both sides of the upper shaft where a wheel will be installed. (use it on either side) I will be making a 20 inch wheel with this tool soon. (and other improvements as I see the need)

In addition, I created extended shafts on the back side. This is to accomadate roller dies that I will be making for lighter materials. I'm thinking of making dies that have about 4 grooves each so they will work with 4 different sized round materials like 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 would be a good start.

P.S. The brushed aluminum flame graphics were added for show and offer no improvement in performance. lol Paint is a dark blue metallic by Rustoleum with hammered gray for the accent pieces. All hardware is grade 8.

DSCN2519_renamed_10979.jpgDSCN2520_renamed_8843.jpgDSCN2523.jpgDSCN2524.jpgDSCN2525.jpgDSCN2526.jpgDSCN2527.jpgDSCN2528.jpgDSCN2529.jpgDSCN2530.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Finally got a die made so I could roll some 3/4 square tube to make the big turning wheel for this and what a work out! I was originally going to make a 16-20 inch wheel but after cranking on this thing with an adjustable wrench, I'm going with a 33 inch!! :drop

Rolling flat stock is a breeze but this square tube was a real work out. I think I'm going to have to motorize this thing yet! :D

The part that is rolled in the photo will be 1/2 of the new wheel! :driver Guess I can skip the gym today... :laugh4

DSCN2575.jpgDSCN2576.jpg