Metal project: Sortimo rack

bobs409

Administrator
DSCN3113.jpg

It seems everyone who's anyone these days on you tube has built a "Sortimo" rack. Most people make them from plywood, I was looking for something to practice Tig welding on so I made mine out of 1-1/4" 16ga steel square tube, 1-1/2" angle iron and the top from 14ga sheet. It should withstand WWIII. :D I was originally going to enclose it with sheet metal but I really like the "skeleton" look it has.

It features a wash basin style top so you have a place to set the case when picking the item out you need. (trick here will be to keep that top shelf CLEAR! LOL)

Cases are from where else, Harbor Freight. :p I have eight 20 bin medium cases and the bottom two are the large 8 bin units for a total of 10 cases.

DSCN3066.jpgDSCN3067.jpgDSCN3108.jpgDSCN3109.jpgDSCN3110.jpgDSCN3111.jpgDSCN3112.jpgDSCN3114.jpgDSCN3115.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah, I guess I better explain that. lol Sortimo is a brand name that is VERY Expensive! The guy from myth busters (Adam Savage) has a youtube channel and is the one that started all this. With him, he actually tracked down an original Sortimo rack & cases. (probably costs thousands) For all the rest of us that don't have TV shows, we settle for H.F. units. :roll

bobs409

Administrator
I guess I should also point out what the big deal is about these in the first place. The yellow compartment are all removable so you can take them to the work. They are also interchangeable so you can move them around within the case or even swap them between cases. Another nice thing is with the lid closed, you can turn them upside down or shake them and the contents won't mix.

I think that covers it. :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5

It seems everyone who's anyone these days on you tube has built a "Sortimo" rack. Most people make them from plywood, I was looking for something to practice Tig welding on so I made mine out of 1-1/4" 16ga steel square tube, 1-1/2" angle iron and the top from 14ga sheet. It should withstand WWIII. :D I was originally going to enclose it with sheet metal but I really like the "skeleton" look it has.

It features a wash basin style top so you have a place to set the case when picking the item out you need. (trick here will be to keep that top shelf CLEAR! LOL)

Cases are from where else, Harbor Freight. :p I have eight 20 bin medium cases and the bottom two are the large 8 bin units for a total of 10 cases.

View attachment 75522View attachment 75523View attachment 75524View attachment 75525View attachment 75526View attachment 75527View attachment 75528View attachment 75530View attachment 75531
No casters????

bobs409

Administrator
Just a small update, I finally got tired of playing the guessing game as to what bin the part was in I needed so I made some labels. H.F. didn't make it easy as these have a grain type finish and a seam running in the one good spot so just slapping a label on was not really an option.

So, I made up some aluminum tags, gave them a brush finish and clear coated them. Then using the Cricut cutting machine, I cut out a vinyl decal in matte black. Then just pop rivet them on!

Came out better than I imagined. (as you can see, I still have not filled all of them yet) :D

DSCN3486.jpg