Metal project: The 2 x 72 belt grinder begins...

bobs409

Administrator
DSCN3631.jpg

Thought I'd do this post as a "build in progress" instead of waiting until it's all done like I usually do. (no rush on this one, going for quality over speed but want it done before the warm weather as I have to get back to working on my cars!) :wax

The past 2 days I've been preparing material & making parts for the new 2 x 72 belt grinder. The Evolution cold cut chop saw earned it's keep today. ;) $50 bucks in metal so far with a few more things to get. Will be very strong/heavy since it's made from 2" x 1/4" square tube and 3/8" steel plate. It's time consuming working with thick metal like this but all part of the fun I guess.

I bought the plans for this to make things go smoother and hopefully avoid any trial & errors. I will be sticking mostly to the original plan but I'm opting to make my own wheels since I already have the 2 & 3 inch round aluminum and all bearings in stock. (just need to buy a 7 inch slab of 6061 aluminum round stock for the drive wheel)

Motor will be a new Iron Horse 2hp AC 3 phase (already on it's way) and a VFD will be added to run it on my household 1 phase current. The VFD will allow forward/backward and speed control. The 2hp motor will make it run strong like bull! lol It should be a metal muncher!!! :D It better be for what this thing is costing me! :grumble

I will also be fabricating a heavy duty roll-able metal cart to mount this on. I prefer to do most if not all grinding outside AWAY from my antique Chevy's!

If you would like to watch the video's on this grinder from the guy that designed it, here is a link to his "playlist" of all the video's. Many vid's to watch!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9skevFWrWc5Px-9pLq0vxaun8IyQojd2

Well, back to the metal supplier tomorrow. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Just an update, things are progressing nicely. Motor came today so now I can make a template and get all the holes done on the motor plate.

Tilting table, receiver tubes and pull out arms are done. Tilting hinge plates are done and were the biggest PITA of all this! Made them round like the plans but to do over again, I would just use rectangular pieces and knock the corners off since the round portion serves no purpose. (one of the times I regret being a purist!) :D

There's a LOT more to building one of these than I imagined. Hell of a lot of fun though. :D

DSCN3632.jpgDSCN3633.jpgDSCN3634.jpgDSCN3635.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Made some great progress! Just got in from tacking the main part of this together. I love my Tig welder, I'd marry it but I don't think it's legal in PA. :D

The mag drill is really earning it's keep as well as the cold chop saw. If you work with metal over 3/16", these 2 tools quickly become your best friends! lol :D Maybe one of these can be best man at my Tig welder wedding?? :roll (don't mind me, the coffee is kicking in) :coffee

I'll be doing more later but here is how things stand right now:

DSCN3637.jpgDSCN3638.jpgDSCN3639.jpgDSCN3640.jpgDSCN3641.jpgDSCN3642.jpgDSCN3643.jpgDSCN3645.jpgDSCN3647.jpgDSCN3648.jpg

Junky

Well Known Member
What color are you going to paint it?? What do you think the final weight is going to be?

bobs409

Administrator
C'mon. Bob. You're not that young, are you?:rolleyes

I must be, never heard of it. :dunno2 (P.S. I like that young part!)

What color are you going to paint it?? What do you think the final weight is going to be?

Ah, the color. One of the hardest parts of these builds. For the moment, I'm going with Deep Gloss Blue by Rustoleum but that may change! :unsure:

Weight: Damn HEAVY! I really don't know but this will have that motor bolted to it in addition to all that steel and the wheels. In this case though, heavy is good and is desireable. (in girl friends, not so much) :laugh4 I'll be making a roll-able cart for it so not a problem. I don't plan on carrying it anywhere. :scared :sweat

bobs409

Administrator
Look at this beautiful nugget! :love

DSCN3650.jpg

7 in diameter x 3.94 thick 6061 aluminum!

Now, how to slice a 2-1/4" piece off in a 6 x 4 bandsaw. :rub

DSCN3649.jpg

Don't worry, I have a plan! :think First I have to get a more aggressive blade or I'll be here a week cutting it! Then remove the front fence and clamp some L brackets to secure it down. Then start cutting! I might have to rotate it a few times but it should cut thru.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Look at this beautiful nugget! :love

View attachment 79198

7 in diameter x 3.94 thick 6061 aluminum!

Now, how to slice a 2-1/4" piece off in a 6 x 4 bandsaw. :rub

View attachment 79197

Don't worry, I have a plan! :think First I have to get a more aggressive blade or I'll be here a week cutting it! Then remove the front fence and clamp some L brackets to secure it down. Then start cutting! I might have to rotate it a few times but it should cut thru.
Is that a Harbor Freight chip brush I see on your saw, LOL

bobs409

Administrator
You should of had it dropped off at my place first, my saw will cut 7 inch. :)

Problem is, how much of it would I end up getting?? :D

Is that a Harbor Freight chip brush I see on your saw, LOL

That is! But it's a Harbor Freight saw too so it's ok. :teehee

Kind of a subject change, but how long before you build a forge and start doing the "forged in fire" thing. It looks pretty interesting sometimes.

No interest in that yet. If I ever did it would have to come AFTER the CNC plasma table! (and that's probably never going to happen) :D

bobs409

Administrator
Today was KNOB day! Anybody can BUY knobs but I spent all day making my own. (well, 1)

I made one prototype knob shown below. This is the style that I will go with. It's 2 inches, made of aluminum, has 6 flutes and has a piece of 1/2-13 threaded rod installed. I also made a depression in the center so a decal could be placed there if desired. Maybe a Trump 2020 or something. (always thinking I am) :laugh4

Now to make 3 more to match and some type of knobs for locking the table in place. :sweat

DSCN3652.jpg
DSCN3651.jpg
DSCN3653.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you build a new garage Bob for all this gear you are building? Or are you starting a machine shop?