Metal project: The 2 x 72 belt grinder begins...

bobs409

Administrator
Been a while so here's an update. Lots done since last time. I built a cart, got some paint on the grinder body and installed the motor.

I also made up the wiring harness, test spun everything (all working GREAT) and I'm working on a cool looking control panel now. Vfd will be mounted under the top so no dust gets into it and the control panel will sit up top easy to reach.

I also got started on the (2) platen wheels. Just need to put them on an arbor and face the contact surfaces true.

Been back and forth on the color but I think it's a keeper. (second picture shows the color best, the flash was off for that one) Hammered gray for the cart I think. Sometimes picking the colors is the hardest damn part! :furious

DSCN3677.jpgDSCN3678.jpgDSCN3679.jpgDSCN3680.jpgDSCN3681.jpgDSCN3682.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
So how do you cut a 7 inch round piece of material in a 6 x 4 band saw?? Well, you do it like this:

DSCN3686.jpgDSCN3688.jpgDSCN3689.jpgDSCN3692.jpgDSCN3693.jpg

You remove both front stationary fence and the rear adjustable fence, put down a flat piece of sheet steel, then clamp 2 angle blocks to hold the part in place. Using a line I drew around the part to line it up. I then made MANY cuts rotating the part to help speed things up. (cutting across a lot of material takes longer than going through less material. Also by rotating the part around it helped to keep things from cutting off the line, kind of evened things out.

Took 3 days! (that's like 5 minutes at a time here and there, probably about an hour of cutting!) Get this, putting a square on it shows it's only out by about 1/16!

Now I'm battling how the hell I'm going to machine this into a use-able part! Starting to think I should have just bought one already made for $100. I guess I like punishment? :D

I could have just machined that extra away but really wanted that piece for "something." (to be determined...) I earned it whatever it's going to be. :p

Not that I care to try it anytime soon but I have over 8 inches of room between the rollers. I don't see any reason I couldn't cut thru an 8 inch piece the same way.

bobs409

Administrator
Pushin' the limits of a 7 x 16 inch metal lathe. :scared

Biggest piece I've ever attempted on my mini lathe. Many challenges to overcome but it's rewarding when you keep getting past the hurdles.

First off, while I do have a larger chuck, you can't grab a hold of a 7 inch part because the jaws would stick out and hit the ways. My first thought (and attempt) was to mount this on a mandrel and turn between centers. Then this morning I had a revelation! :think

How about cutting a deep pocket on one side with the mill and grab the part from inside out. So instead of tightening the jaws one way, you lock on with outward pressure. The ones on ebay also have this pocket so perhaps they do the same thing. ?

Now actually reaching the area you want to cut is the next challenge. I am able to easily get half way so I'll do half, then turn the part around.

If it's not concentric after all the machining, I have a great idea to fix that! Mount the wheel on the motor! Then move the mini lathe up to it and use the far end with the tool post to take a light pass. Will be fully balanced right on the motor shaft! Eureeka! :winner

DSCN3694.jpgDSCN3695.jpgDSCN3696.jpgDSCN3698.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Wheels, yeah I got those! :metal

Just finished up the last wheel. I have a 7 x 2-3/4 drive wheel, a 3 x 2-3/4 tracking wheel and (2) 2 x 2-3/8 platen wheels. I put a 1 degree crown on the drive wheel and tracking wheel.

I'm not sure I'll keep the design I put in the wheel. I was going for the "crop circle" thing but it didn't come out as I had hoped. :cry1 Should have put about 2 less circles I think. Goes from small to big, small to big as it spins. That may be changed yet. :rub

Not much more to do before I can slap a belt on and give it a test drive. :drive

DSCN3719.jpgDSCN3720.jpgDSCN3722.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
2 x 72 inch Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)

1g.jpg

It's Big, it's BLUE and it has an appetite for ferrous metal! It's the Metal Muncher! (sorry, I had to) lol

Thought I'd never get this done! I've been working on this since March 1st and putting in some long days to get here! It's been a ton of fun but a heck of a lot of hard work too! It's also the most expensive project I've ever built but considering commercial belt grinders of this quality run $2,500 - $3,000 that does take some of the sting away. (Sorry, I have not added everything up yet)

This is a 2 x 72 Belt Grinder built from plans that I purchased online and while I kept mostly to the specs, I did make a few tweaks here and there. Will be making modifications and upgrades as I see the need.

Like most things in my life, I like to do as much myself as possible. I opted to make my own wheels instead of buying them. I already had the 2 & 3 inch round aluminum stock and the bearings so a quick search on ebay turned up the 7 inch slab I needed for the drive wheel. Let me tell ya, working with a 7 inch chunk in a 6 x 4 band saw and a 7 x 16 metal lathe does present some difficulties but I eventually won the battle. ;) To do it over, I would just buy the drive wheel already made, it was the most challenging. I didn't save any money on that one but I guess I got some good experience and bragging rights anyway. :D

I made all my own knobs. The material I had already and this way I got to create my own design. All made from 6061 aluminum stock.

I did go with the 2HP Ironhorse motor that was suggested in the plans but found a VFD that was about $100 cheaper than the one they used. I'm really happy with the WEG VFD that I chose, it's crazy customizable!

To keep the VFD which is the most valuable part out of the dust, I mounted it under the shelf to the rear. I made a seperate control panel and all controls are up top at fingers reach. It has Forward & Reverse as well as speed control.

This unit works both vertical and horizontal and is STRONG!!! It's also very heavy but that's a good thing in belt grinders. lol

The cart (not part of the plans) I designed myself and I kept it as small as possible due to space limitations. (I need a bigger garage!!)

It's made of 2 inch & 1.5 inch 16ga tube and has heavy duty rubber front casters and solid 10 inch rubber rear tires.

Since I needed a place to store my small shop vac anyway, this was the perfect place for it! I will most likely add some type of dust control to the belt grinder so I'm half way there already. I designed this so I can very easily pull the vacuum out for jobs around the garage and cleaning my cars.

Specifications:

Vertical / Horizontal sanding positions
Forward / Reverse / Adjustable speed
VFD: Weg CFW-300
Motor: Ironhorse 2HP AC Induction 220 volt 3 phase motor 3600rpm, 5/8 keyed shaft
Switch panel: I designed and fabricated the control box myself and used some switches I had on hand and a few I bought on ebay for this project.
7" x 2-3/4" inch drive wheel.
3" x 2-3/4" tracking wheel with a 1 degree crown.
2" x 2-1/2" platen wheels.
Bearings: R8ZZ
Hardware: Grade 8
Graphics: I did all the vinyl graphics myself using a Cricut cutting machine.
Colors: Deep Gloss Blue Rustoleum, Metallic Black Rustoleum, Hammered Silver Rustoleum and Flat Aluminum.
Weight: HEAVY!

Future plans:

Adding a 12 inch rubber contact wheel that can used instead of the flat platen.
Some form of dust collection (although this will only be used outside my garage)
A water tank to dip parts when they get too hot to hold.
A surface grinder attachment that I will build myself in the near future.
Small wheel attachment.
Radius attachment.

2g.jpg4g.jpg5g.jpg6g.jpg7g.jpg8g.jpg9g.jpg10g.jpg

Last edited:

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Very sexiful, Bob. You might want to consider putting a cover around the open areas of the VFD. I'm pretty certain it won't like getting metallic dust inside of it.