Metalworking project: A big aluminum AC spark plug!

bobs409

Administrator
Normally I wait until the project is done but this time, I'll show it before, during and after for giggles. :D

This is for the guy who has everything, A BIG SPARK PLUG. People will say, why make a big spark plug? I say, why not? :tongue Add to it that I'm a little off my rocker so should be good times. :laugh4

This will be modeled after an actual R45 spark plug that takes the 13/16 socket. (wanted old school stubby sytle) :cool: You would think a car guy like me would have an extra of these lying around but NO, I had to remove this from my 69 Chevelle! :confused Seems I have tons of the smaller 5/8 plugs around but none of these. :doh Oy!

Ok, getting back... as the photo shows, I have taken measurements with a digital caliper of the real plug in decimal inches and then I am multiplying those numbers by 53%. Yep, it will be 53% larger and will be kept very, very close to that size. I made some dial indicators mounts for my lathe recently shown here: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/metalworking-project-dial-indicator-mounts-for-a-small-lathe.35347/ so this will be a great project to try those out and to hone up on getting accuracy from them.

The photo shows an 1-1/4 nut which will be the size of the plugs hexagon area. Next to it is the blank I started working on which is 4.034 inches long and 1-1/2 inches in diameter. The part turned down some is from the bottom of the porcelain and up.

Well, that's all for tonight. I'll post the progress as it goes...

DSCN7342.jpg DSCN7343.jpg DSCN7344.jpg

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like the plug from the 69 was in there a while Bob.:pop:pop

Is this going to be drama and suspense like watching Oak Island?

bobs409

Administrator
Looks like the plug from the 69 was in there a while Bob.:pop:pop

A very long time! It's been off the road since... I can't remember but a long time! :laugh4 2003 possibly?

This is a future resto project I have squirreled away. :drive

bobs409

Administrator
A mid day update.

Things are moving a long nicely. Just did the hexagon area on the mill using the fly cutter I made a while back. Later it's back to the lathe to round off what's not needed and soon it's threading time. I guess the saying is true, machinist make round things square and square things round huh. :laugh3

DSCN7355.jpg DSCN7356.jpg DSCN7357.jpg DSCN7359.jpg

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Now do you need 8 of these for your V8? And is the increase spark proportional to the size of the spark plug? According to Holstein's theory of thermohermeneutics , the increased arc , resulting in a massive electrical pulse, could result in the end of the world, as we know it, if it falls into the wrong hands. You have been given a sacred trust. Guard it well.

bobs409

Administrator
Well it's done! (except for epoxying the side electrode in place)

That sure was fun! (and a lot of work!) I even put metric threads on it! (1.25) I'll have to guess at the gap setting since this one is NOT in the books! :laugh4

I guess this would fit a big, big block! A "904" or an "843" :laugh3

DSCN7365.jpg DSCN7366.jpg DSCN7367.jpg DSCN7368.jpg DSCN7370.jpg DSCN7371.jpg DSCN7372.jpg DSCN7373.jpg DSCN7374.jpg DSCN7375.jpg

On to the next project, whatever that may be... Reinstalling that spark plug in my Chevelle I guess. :p

bobs409

Administrator
Now do you need 8 of these for your V8? And is the increase spark proportional to the size of the spark plug? According to Holstein's theory of thermohermeneutics , the increased arc , resulting in a massive electrical pulse, could result in the end of the world, as we know it, if it falls into the wrong hands. You have been given a sacred trust. Guard it well.

It should all be safe, just have to build the rest of the engine to match this. (53% bigger) ;)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, you could make adapter bushings to adapt auto plugs to experimental aircraft engines which are 18mm. Most of the guys in the hangar use them and have them made. Some guy sells them on ebay though so the market may not be big enough.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Howard states: "According to Holstein's theory of thermohermeneutics , the increased arc , resulting in a massive electrical pulse, could result in the end of the world, as we know it, if it falls into the wrong hands. You have been given a sacred trust. Guard it well."

I can't believe you used the word "hermeneutics" in a complete sentence :) :) :). That just cracked me up, it sounded soooo high brow academic! And I thought I just left that world...

TomK

P.S. Yes, I know what it really means...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Amazing Bob, I wondered how you would do the electrode!!! May be you could submit that into the home made project into the tool site that you entered your bead roller????? Look's like that lathe will keep you entertained for year's !!!!:D

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Amazing Bob, I wondered how you would do the electrode!!! May be you could submit that into the home made project into the tool site that you entered your bead roller????? Look's like that lathe will keep you entertained for year's !!!!:D

Thank you kind sir. I spent a few minutes making that side electrode a little smoother, looked rough in the pics.

That tool site does have an area for non tool related so I'll be posting it there.