Metalworking project: auto dash fastener tools

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, for lack of better words, these are used to remove some of those crazy fastener nuts used on our old cars. We've all seen them used for head light switches, wiper switches, radio nuts or ignition bezels. Some vendors actually sell tools like these but for $20 dollars a piece to buy them, I prefer to make my own.

Here are 2 double ended tools I made that tackle 4 of those special cases.

DSCN7058.jpg

I machined the sides to accept an open end wrench for those really stubborn jobs! Most cases you would get by with just finger pressure to unscrew these.

The first photo shows a common head light nut with a slotted design. This type was used on the 67-72 Chevy & GMC trucks.

DSCN7054.jpg

The next one is another design in which 2 small holes are used in place of that slot. 2 small roll pins do the job here. This type was mostly used on cars of the 60's.

DSCN7055.jpg

The tool shown below is specifically for Chevy & GMC trucks of the 67-72 era. This fits the chrome bezel used on the wiper and head light areas of the instrument cluster. It has a 2 square hole design:

DSCN7056.jpg

And this one is a smaller version of the slotted style head light nut. I believe older pre '67 trucks used this style.

DSCN7057.jpg

I will be making similar tools for the slotted style radio nuts used on late 60's GM cars as well as various ignition bezels for old Chevy cars and trucks. Will post as I make those...

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Get a patent, quit your day job and start mass producing these tools. You'll be rich in not time :laughing. Nice job, Carmine.

Hey Bob,
What is this day job thing that Carmine said you have to quit?
I didnt think you had one of those

Steve