Metalworking project: dial indicator mounts for a small lathe

bobs409

Administrator
This project is aimed at getting accuracy out of the mini lathe I have.

Since it's a mini lathe, I felt digital readouts for it would be over kill. (2) $16.99 dial indicators from my beloved Harbor Freight store fills the bill! (could have just used one and switched them back and forth but decided on a dedicated indicator for each)

First, I made a mount for the carriage slide (the part that moves left and right). It has a dial indicator mounted top side with a thumb screw. Below that is a hard stop sliding bar that slides in/out that is locked in with another thumb screw. That's nice when you just want to set up a quick stop. This whole assembly can be positioned anywhere along the "ways" (that's the rail it's on) A small bolt secures it in place.

The second one is for the cross slide. That's the part that goes forward and back. This will be very helpful for any threading I may do. It mounts to the ways (rear) and can be positioned anywhere along it. A small cap screw squeezes it in place.

I guess that's it. Two very useful projects that will be used many times over... :write

DSCN7323a.jpg DSCN7323b.jpg DSCN7324.jpg DSCN7325.jpg DSCN7339.jpg DSCN7340.jpg DSCN7341.jpg

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hats off to you Bob. When I had my lathe I made a few tools, did lots of repairs etc., however I clearly didn't have foresite or creativity that you seem to have. I have missed my lathe every since I sold it, and watching your projects and the outcomes has done nothing but make me miss it more. Great job.

bobs409

Administrator
That's pretty dang slick.
What size cutters do you use in your lathe?

Mostly 1/4 inch to 5/16 with carbide inserts from Harbor Freight. I also ground some HSS that was successful.

I've been making my own tool holders for it so I can make them to fit basically any size. So far, the small ones work very well.