Metering rod question.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
I was looking for some larger power step metering rods to use when I go racing at high altitudes(5000 to 6500 feet) & located a place named the carb shop. I called him because he had some listed for Carter AFB's. Told him what I wanted to do & he said the AFB metering rods would not work in the Edelbrock carbs. Something to do with the tapering, etc. He was willing to sell me the rebuild/tuneup kits with rods for some ridiculous price but informed me they would not work & to call him back when I had some real carbs. Wow talk about rude! Anyone had any experience with interchanging/using AFB rods with Edelbrock carbs. Was the information he gave me correct & why won't they work or won't they give me the results I was hoping for. Thanks.

Joel

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a Carter 625 AFB[Competetion Series] and the metering rods look like the Edelbrock rods to me.I've heard of Eddie jets,rods and springs,even gaskets being used for the earlier AFB's,just never done it.Don't know why you couldn't.If the Eddie stuff works in an older Carter,why wouldn't the reverse be true as well?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I think that is Jon. He is very opinionated about "real" Carter quality vs Edelbrock quality. I think there have been different subtle design changes since Edlebrock/Weber took them over in production why some things do not fit. I can tell you his rebuild kits are VERY complete including new jets and rods and better quality gaskets/acel pumps than any rebuild kit you can buy.

How about smaller jets? I know changing rods is easier but keeping the same rod-jet difference you are shooting for might work. Seems to on Qjets.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The edelbrock rods will work just fine. Jon doesn’t know anything about edelbrocks or federal mogul made carters. He doesn’t want to know. His focus is carter carbs made by carter. Just get what you need from edelbrock. They work just fine. If you can’t find the size you need, you can hunt down some old carter strip kits. Carter offered different sizes than edelbrock.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure they would work, I have used them in the past without any problems. We are doing rejetting here while the car is on the Dyno. We are going to set it up to run at approximately 4500 feet. However when I go to sea level or 6500 feet I just want to change the metering rods. I have plenty of rods with a small power step but nothing any larger than .057 power step, so if anyone has some larger than .057 please let me know. I would need 4 since I run the same in both carbs. I would be happy to purchase whatever you have. Yes it was Jon that I spoke with. Thanks.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
I forgot to mention they would most likely be AFB metering rods, I don't believe Edelbrock made any rods with a power step larger than .057. Thanks.