mickey thompson stroker crank ????

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a chance to buy a mickey thompson 409 stroker crank made back in the day anybody know anything about them

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've got a 1/4" stroker(not a M/T) made back in the day. Most they weld the journal up then grind it back down 0.020 to clean up the journal.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Bet they did it the same way. During a tour of RHS/Comp Cams a few yers back saw a mchine made for that. Welds under sand or something similar while the crank turns in a lathe type machine.

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have not seen them yet he said there was a 3/8 and a 5/8 and he wanted $400 each

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yep why mine is still in the box from the shop I got it from. I'll make someone a deal on it!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Summit sells the 4.00" Eagle 4340 steel crank for $700, I'd use that way before I used a welded crank

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
that is what I was thinking but I wanted to see if anybody used one of the mickey thompson cranks be kind of cool to hang on wall

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Summit sells the 4.00" Eagle 4340 steel crank for $700, I'd use that way before I used a welded crank

Just wondering why if you want a 4" stroke crank, you wouldn't consider a 454 crank which is 4" ? Not sure if they are steel or not or how important that might be per your build. You can pick one up through Summit or Jeggs relatively cheap. I used one in my 348 which I'm told did require some internal machine work. Works fine thus far.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just wondering why if you want a 4" stroke crank, you wouldn't consider a 454 crank which is 4" ? Not sure if they are steel or not or how important that might be per your build. You can pick one up through Summit or Jeggs relatively cheap. I used one in my 348 which I'm told did require some internal machine work. Works fine thus far.

That's exactly what they are. Cost of a brand new 454 crank plus the machining required to make it fit, $700 is a deal.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
To get a 454 crank to fit-1)turn down mains,2) turn down snout to SBC diameter 3) turn down counter weights to fit in block, 4) balance-might take heavy metal to go internal balance.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
To get a 454 crank to fit-1)turn down mains,2) turn down snout to SBC diameter 3) turn down counter weights to fit in block, 4) balance-might take heavy metal to go internal balance.

Skip...........I think you have to re-key the snout also.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I knew there were some other fine tuning. You end up with more machining costs than a new one. Why I still have a 454 crank sitting around.